What I Believe 1: Listening and Speaking about What Really Matters, by Elizabeth Böttcher, is based on the public radio series This I Believe. What I Believe 1 features the unique voices of individuals from all walks of life who share the personal philosophies and core values that guide their daily lives. In addition to providing authentic listening practice, this book challenges students to explore, discuss, and write about the essays in the text. It also engages and guides students in formulating, sharing, and discussing their own core values and beliefs.
What I Believe 1 is for intermediate students. For high-intermediate students, see What I Believe 2.
- Getting Ready — introduces student to the speaker and activates their knowledge of the speaker’s topic
- Vocabulary for Comprehension and Glossary — support students’ listening comprehension
- Critical Thinking — provides students opportunities to discuss central and related topics in a deep, meaningful way
- Background Notes and Culture Notes — give students helpful background on essay content
- Focused Speaking Task — includes instruction and practice with pronunciation and useful language as well as step-by-step speaking preparation
- Writing Topics — allows students to put their ideas into written form
Audio CDs are available.
What I Believe is a two-level series. See also:
- What I Believe 2
|Publisher:||Pearson Education ESL|
|Product dimensions:||4.90(w) x 5.60(h) x 0.40(d)|
Table of Contents
The Artistry in Hidden Talents
Seeing in Beautiful, Precise Pictures
The Importance of Parenting
The Connection Between Strangers
A Grown-Up Barbie
The Hardest Work You’ll Ever Do
Unleashing the Power of Creativity
The People Who Love You
Tomorrow Will Be a Better Day
What Have I Learned?
Elizabeth Deutsch Earle
We Are Each Other’s Business
A Shared Moment of Trust