One of history’s most amazing armies is born —
And its soldiers wear silk robes.
Lady Mochizuki Chiyome is mired in grief. Recently widowed by Japan’s endless civil war, she has become tired of mourning, tired of wearing the white robes that are the traditional Japanese garb of grief. On the road, she encounters two young women who open her eyes to a whole new purpose in life — and a new way to end Japan's century of bloodshed.
(Historical adventure short story.)
This is the first of six Kunoichi Companion Tales, prequel stories to David Kudler’s historical novel Risuko: A Kunoichi Tale:
1) White Robes — Mired in her own grief, Lady Mochizuki Chiyome encounters two young women who give her a whole new, much more interesting opportunity
2) Silk & Service — A young Takeda warrior meets a servant who is much more than she seems (coming soon!)
3) Ghost — When Lady Chiyome receives a note from the shōgun, she finds that the messenger is much more intriguing than the message
4) Shining Boy — Plucked off of the streets of the capital, an orphan girl tries to figure out what story she's wandered into
5) Blade — Toumi doesn't want anyone messing with her business
6) Little Brother — Returning to the monastery turns out to be as hard as leaving it was
About the Author
David Kudler is a writer and editor living just north of the Golden Gate Bridge with his wife Maura Vaughn and their daughters. And their cat. And many guppies.
He serves as the publisher of Stillpoint Digital Press. Since 1999, he has overseen the publications program for the Joseph Campbell Foundation. He has edited three posthumous volumes of Campbell's unpublished writing and lectures and overseen editions of nine additional print titles, the most recent being the third edition of the seminal Hero with a Thousand Faces. In addition, he has shepherded the creation of nearly twenty hours of video and over thirty hours of audio recordings. Of late, much of his focus has been creating new ebook editions of Campbell's classic titles.
His novel Risuko is a young adult historical adventure novel (whew! lots of qualifications on that!) set in Japan during the Civil War era.
He's a passionate reader of mysteries, fantasy and whatever else he can get his hands on. He is a story addict.