“Thoroughly enjoyable and easy to read. Every white wine drinker should read this.”
—Terry Robards, Senior Managing Editor, Wine Enthusiast Magazine
“This book is a ‘must’ if you enjoy the taste of wine! This excellent guide playfully educates amateurs, as well as experts, in the pleasures of drinking wine.”
—Michael Aaron, Chairman, Sherry-Leman, World Renowned Wine Shop, New York, NY
“...an insightful reference guide for the beginning taster or industry professional who has an appreciation of wine and wit.”
—Lynn Penner-Ash, President/Winemaker, Rex Hill Vineyards, Inc.
Do you know the difference between a Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, and a Sauvignon Blanc? Are you frustrated by the vast number of white wines there are to choose from? Don’t panic, let White Wine For Dummies be your guide. Covering wine regions from all over the world, including California, France, New Zealand, South Africa, Germany, and Italy, this friendly reference provides answers to all your white wine questions. It tells you how to:
- Understand the key differences between white and red wines
- Distinguish white wine varieties by color, aroma, flavor, and texture
- Identify the grape type, region, and vintage with ease
- Explore the California wine revolution—from Chardonnay to Sauvignon Blanc
- Discover fine American wineries, from coast to coast
- Uncover the secrets of European white wines
- Select the right vintage and style to suite your taste
- Choose the right white wine for any occasion
Written by two leading national wine experts, this authoritative guide features helpful charts, wine label examples, expert tips, wine tasting techniques, and priceless author recommendations. You also get:
- A fascinating introductory course in white wine explaining how it differs from red, its chief characteristics, how grape type and growing conditions influence taste, how to choose the right white wine for a meal, and more
- A region-by-region guide to the white wines of the world—from California and New York to New Zealand and South Africa to all the major European producers
With White Wine For Dummies by your side, you’ll soon be selecting white wines with confidence for every occasion.
About the Author
About the Authors Ed McCarthy is a certified wine educator, writer, consultant, and collector who has been active in the wine trade for over twenty years. He contributes to Wine Enthusiast magazine and is a contributing editor to The Wine Journal. Mary Ewing-Mulligan is co-owner and director of the international Wine Center in New York. She is the only American woman who is a Master of Wine, a title signifying the highest level of know-ledge in the wine trade. She is one of only fourteen Masters of Wine in the United States.
Table of Contents
PART I: A Course of White Wine.
Chapter 1: Beyond the Red Horizon.
Chapter 2: Accounting for Taste.
Chapter 3: Grape Expectations.
Chapter 4: The Seven Classic Types of White Wine.
Chapter 5: White Wine with Fish and More.
PART II: A World of White Wine.
Chapter 6: California Chardonnay.
Chapter 7: California Whites, Beyond Chardonnay.
Chapter 8: The White Wines of Oregon, Washington, and New York.
Chapter 9: White Wine Down Under Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.
Chapter 10: Vin Blanc Francais: The Great White Burgundies.
Chapter 11: Vin Blanc Francais: Bordeaux and Beyond.
Chapter 12: A League of Their Own: Germany's White Wines.
Chapter 13: White Wines from Italy: More Than Soave and Pinot Grigio.
Chapter 14: Spain, Portugal, Austria, and Switzerland.
PART III: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 15: Ten Little-Known White Wines Worth Knowing.
Chapter 16: Ten Frequently Asked Questions about White Wines.
Chapter 17: Ten Palate-Pleasing Exercises for Savoring White Wines.
PART IV: Appendixes.
Appendix A: Pronunciation Guide.
Appendix B: Glossary.
Appendix C: Those Very Good Years: A Vintage Chart.
Reader Response Card.