Want it by Friday, September 28?
Order by 12:00 PM Eastern and choose Expedited Shipping at checkout.
Same Day shipping in Manhattan. See Details
Wilton was incorporated in 1803, when it was a mostly self-sufficient agricultural community. Manufacturing was the backbone of town even before it was fully incorporated and would continue to be until the late 20th century. Early industrial success can be attributed to Wilson Stream, which provided waterpower for Wilton’s mills. The names of Bass, Butterfield, Furnel, Walker, Robbins, and Goodspeed would become well known in Wilton as early entrepreneurs. George Henry Bass entered the shoe manufacturing business in 1876 and started his first shoe shop in 1879. G.H. Bass & Co. went on to become a major employer in the area and a nationally known company. The early 1900s was a time of great progress for the town in which the Wilton Academy was accredited, the town library was acquired, and the Wilton Woolen Mill was established. Several businesses also emerged on Main Street, including the Cony Miller Grocery Store, Mrs. Magrath’s Millinery, Holman’s Drug Store, and Stockford’s Drug Store. Today, the essence of Wilton is still reflected in its official motto, “A great place to live, work & play.”
About the Author
Tamara N. Hoke is the director at the Jay-Niles Memorial Library in Jay. Images have been drawn from the Wilton Historical Society.
Table of Contents
1 Business 9
2 Industry 27
3 Hunting, Farming, and Fishing 39
4 Celebrations 47
5 Fires, Floods, and Storms 55
6 Camp Kineowatha 65
7 Home and Family 77
8 Streets and Villages 87
9 Recreation 93
10 Community 103
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
Fun cover! Great pic of old fashioned luncheonette complete with lunch ladies. Good book for those who love small town America. Look for the Felix the Cat sign at the motor lodge and the movie program for Claude Rains' "Man Who Reclaimed His Head". Also lots of historical photos of Kineowatha summer camp in rural Maine as well as the Bass shoe company. A real step back in time.