Each word boggler is a word or phrase that has been written so that its meaning is conveyed via the position, number, or size of the words and letters. Some of the puzzles are words while some are familiar idioms and clichés. Thus, this book brings an opportunity to develop vocabulary and knowledge of often-used phrases in the form of motivating brainteasers.
Each page features six of these visual puzzles. Students analyze the way the words are written (size, position, and direction) to solve each boggler and match it with its definition. A way to further reinforce the understanding of each phrase is to have students use the phrases in a written sentence. You can use these puzzles in a variety of ways, including:
- putting them on the overhead for a quick daily thinking challenge,
- using them as starting points for daily writing exercises,
- using an entire page for a weekly challenge,
- forming groups to work together on solving the puzzles,
- using them in a learning center, and
- having students make up their own puzzles.
For more word puzzles, see The World's Greatest Brain Bogglers and Brain Twisters!