Strong basic language skills are the foundation on which successful future learning is built. Written by veteran SEN authors Sheila Wolfendale and Trevor Bryans, Word Play provides practitioners and parents with a range of fun activities, word games, story and drama exercises that can be used to introduce early language skills in an enjoyable way.
Word Play is:
- straightforward and practical
- written by well respected experts in education
- for staff in early years settings
- for teachers to work with parents
- for children aged from approximately four to seven years
- for parents wishing to help their children to learn
- for all workers in Early Years environments as well as parents of young children.
Table of Contents
Foreword; Introduction; Theoretical basis of the programme; Stages in carrying out a language programme; Keynotes for talking with children; Conversation time; Storytelling and story-making; Expression of feeling and social awareness; Word games; Acting and pretending; Using the five senses; Thinking, remembering, reasoning; Awareness of time; Languages of number, quantity, position, size and measurement; References and suggestions for further reading.