Encouraging writers to think logically and communicate clearly, this practical and comprehensive book presents writing and grammar in an organized and appealing way, with myriad examples and exercises to support concepts and hone skills. KEY TOPICS Using a structured yet flexible approach, it systematically covers all the steps of the writing process; explores strategies for creating topic sentences and writing paragraphs (with a sample paragraph shown in its progress from idea to finished essay); and shares nine different methods of development with model paragraphs. It presents a separate “mix and match” grammar section with minimal jargon, maximum clarity, and a wealth of exercises, and a selection of short, entertaining readings—complete with reading comprehension questions and writing assignments—that introduces students to the connection between reading and writing. For individuals who want to improve their written communication skills.
|Product dimensions:||7.50(w) x 9.10(h) x 0.90(d)|
Table of Contents
PART 1. COMPOSITION.
1. The Writing Process.
2. Preparing to Write.
3. Writing Paragraphs: Topic Sentences.
4. Writing Paragraphs: Support.
5. Writing Paragraphs: Unity and Coherence.
6. Revising, Proofreading, and Formatting.
7. Showing and Telling: Description, Narration and Example.
8. Limiting and Ordering: Definition, Classification, and Process.
9. Examining Logical Connections: Comparison-Contrast, Cause-Effect and Argument.
10. Writing an Essay.
11. Writing Summary Reports.
PART 2. GRAMMAR.
12. Verbs and Subjects.
13. Subject-Verb Agreement.
14. Verb Shift.
15. Sentence Variety.
16. Run-on Sentences.
17. Sentence Fragments.
18. Pronoun Case.
19. Pronoun Agreement, Reference, and Point of View.
20. Adjectives, Adverbs, and Articles.
21. Capital Letters.
22. Words Commonly Confused.
23. Word Choice.
25. Other Punctuation.
27. Quotation Marks.
PART 3. READINGS .