World of Reading 1: A Thematic Approach to Reading Comprehension / Edition 2 available in Paperback
With its thematic approach to building reading comprehension, the new World of Reading series engages students in a wide variety of genres such as news articles, short stories, and textbook excerpts. Each unit is made up of four chapters with readings from many different disciplines, including science, social science, business, and literature. Based on the successful Building on Basics and Building Understanding books, the series has been expanded to cover low-intermediate to advanced students.
Features of World of Reading 1
- Adapted authentic readings help students learn language for use inside and outside the classroom.
- Previewing activities stimulate background knowledge and introduce essential vocabulary to prepare students for readings.
- Vocabulary checks, side-by-side with the readings, call out essential vocabulary in context and help accelerate fluent reading.
- Comprehension and vocabulary sections develop students’ ability to read authentic materials independently.
- Writing prompts offer opportunities for expression about the themes.
|Publisher:||Pearson Education ESL|
|Edition description:||New Edition|
|Product dimensions:||8.30(w) x 10.80(h) x 0.30(d)|
Table of Contents
Unit 1 COMMUNICATING ACROSS CULTURES
Reading: Gestures: The Innocent Abroad’s Shortlist
Reading: The Way to Cultural Sensitivity
Reading: It Finally Dawned on Me
Unit 2 THE HUMAN-ANIMAL BOND
Reading: What Guide Dogs Do
Reading: Senior Partners — Older Americans and Adult Pets
Reading: A Global View of the Human-Animal Bond
Reading: A Secret for Two
Unit 3 NUTRITION: FOOD FOR HEALTH AND ENJOYMENT
Reading: As the Junk-Food World Turns
Reading: The Healthy Eating Pyramid
Reading: Food Not as Fuel but as a Way of Life
Reading: 'This Is Just to Say' and 'Variation on a Theme by William Carlos Williams'
Unit 4 MAKING A DIFFERENCE
Reading: People Who Have Made a Difference
Reading: Leaving It All to Chance
Reading: City Year: Give a Year. Change the World.
Reading: The Message
Unit 5 NATURAL DISATERS: EARTHQUAKES AN TSUNAMIS
Reading: Ask a Seismologist
Reading: How to Stay Safe during an Earthquake
Reading: It took centuries…
Unit 6 OVERCOMING THE ODDS
Reading: Beating the Odds-Finding Hope at Home
Reading: Grit, the Key to Success
Reading: What It Will Really Take to Close the Education Gap
Reading: Determined to Succeed
Map of North America
Map of the World