“No one is better than Michael Hauge at finding what is most authentic in every moment of a story.” —Will Smith“Michael Hauge is a story master, and this book is an absolute must have for anyone serious about telling great stories for the screen.” —DeVon Franklin, Vice-President of Production, Columbia Pictures
Concise, authoritative, and comprehensive, Writing Screenplays that Sell is the most complete guide available on the art, craft, and business of screenwriting for movies and television. Renowned Hollywood story consultant Michael Hauge—considered “one of the most sought after lecturers and script consultants in the U.S.” by Scriptwriter magazine—covers every aspect from concept to deal: screenplay development, artistry versus commerciality, adaptations, copyright protection, living and working outside Los Angeles; finding an agent; and more.
Reflecting the latest trends and scripts, Writing Screenplays that Sell includes insight and detailed information on:
- Finding and selecting commercial story concepts
- Guidelines for story structure, including:
- Opening scenes that immediately grab the reader- The five most common goals in Hollywood movies- Why most adaptations fail- The most effective use of flashbacks- Creating emotionally powerful endings
- Tips for marketing a script—script consultants, script competitions, pitch fests, virtual pitching, e-mail blasts, log-line listings, audio script readings, and Internet resources for screenwriters
- A complete, in depth analysis of the screenplay for Avatar, the biggest box office success of all time
- Whether you’re an aspiring artist looking to break into the business or a seasoned pro looking for tips to boost your skills, Writing Screenplays that Sell is the one essential guide you need.
|Product dimensions:||5.30(w) x 7.90(h) x 1.20(d)|
About the Author
Michael Hauge is a story consultant, author, and lecturer who has consulted on projects for every major Hollywood studio, including films starring Will Smith, Julia Roberts, Jennifer Lopez, Kirsten Dunst, Robert Downey Jr., and Morgan Freeman. He is the author of Selling Your Story in 60 Seconds and has presented his lectures and workshops to more than 50,000 writers and filmmakers around the world.
What People are Saying About This
“If you’re serious about becoming a screenwriter, start by reading this book.”
““…When I pick up the phone for help, Michael Hauge is the call I make.”
“What Michael Hauge does seems quite simple but is in fact quite rare. He takes your ideas and makes them better.”
“Michael Hauge is a story master, and this book is an absolute must have for anyone serious about telling great stories for the screen.”
“The craftsman’s blueprint for anyone who is serious about writing or developing good screenplays.”
“No one is better than Michael Hauge at finding what is most authentic in every moment of a story.”
“There are five essential books that every person who wants to write screenplays should read. One of them is Writing Screenplays That Sell, and the other four don’t matter.”
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
Michael Hauge's book covers the bases for writers if all levels. I found it a great review of various aspects of the screenwriting process from idea to the sale.