Young Children and Technology: A World of Discovery / Edition 1
A computer is just a computer; it is the quality of the software used that determines outcomes for young children. This unique book looks closely at the issues of using technology with pre-school, kindergarten and primary age children.
1. The Effect of Computers on Young Children's Development. Overview of Book Content. Pros/Cons of Computer Use. Review of Current Research.
2. Selecting Software Using Evaluation Systems. Overview of Evaluation Systems. Utilizing Haugland/Shade Evaluation System to Select Software. Evaluations of 150 Pieces of Children's Software.
3. Evaluating Software with the Haugland/Shade Developmental Scale. The Ten Essential Criteria of Developmental Software. Evaluating Software for the Anti-Bias Component. Congruency with NAEYC Guidelines for DAP. Examples of How to Score Each Criteria with Current Software.
4. Introducing Children to Computers. The Role of Computers in the Classroom. Computers in the Classroom vs. Computers in the Lab. Arranging the Environment. Managing the Novelty Effect. Putting Children in Charge. Promoting Cooperative Learning and Peer Tutoring.
5. Teaching Strategies to Integrate Computers into the Curriculum. Choosing Teaching Strategies and Activities. Exploring Robots and Multi-Media Application. Enriching Thematic Units. Enhancing the Project Approach. Evaluating the Impact of Computers. Using Computers as an Assessment Tool.
6. Utilizing Computers to Promote an Anti-Bias Curriculum. Anti-Bias Software Selection. Creating an Inclusive Environment. Facilitating Self-Identity. Developing A Sense of Group. Cultural Awareness.
7. Communicating with Parents, Connecting with the Community and Networking Across the Globe. Involving Parents in a Team Approach. Appropriate Home Computer Use. School/Community Connections. Networking Children Throughout the World.
Appendix A: The NAEYC Position Statement on Technology.
Appendix B: Guidelines for Computer Selection.
Appendix C: Content and Age Levels of Developmentally Appropriate Software.