Help your teens grow into the very best versions of themselves!
From rule-breaking and risk-taking to defensive communication and disrespect, parenting a teenager can feel like modern warfare--but it doesn't have to be that way. In 1-2-3 Magic Teen, internationally renowned parenting expert Thomas W. Phelan explains how to better understand your teenager, which problems are not worth fighting over, and why your child's behavior likely matches the definition of a normal adolescent! With helpful, straightforward advice backed up by research and parent-tested strategies, 1-2-3 Magic Teen will help you establish a calmer, more respectful home and family life and show you how to guide your teenager into healthy, functional young adulthood.
• Learn the Language: Communicate with open and engaging language, and listen to your teenager the right way.
• Establish Expectations: Learn how to set limits while still encouraging independent decision-making and helping your child develop their emotional intelligence.
• Stay in Touch: Allow your teen to open up to you in more meaningful and inclusive ways through four simple connection building strategies.'
• Take Care of Yourself: Take time to maintain your own emotional well-being to avoid allowing your own anxieties and stresses to influence your children
You'll also find tools and advice tailored for the challenges of a teen lifestyle, including:
• Forgetting to do chores
• Absence in family outings
• Drop in grades
• Missed curfews
• Parties and drinking
• Work responsibilities
The author of the million-copy parenting bestseller 1-2-3 Magic applies his time-tested, trusted advice in this straightforward, encouraging guide that walks parents through the ups and downs of teen life, allowing them to help their kids gain confidence and push toward independence.
|Edition description:||4th ed.|
|Product dimensions:||6.00(w) x 8.90(h) x 0.60(d)|
About the Author
Table of Contents
Introduction: Meet the Snub xi
Part I Straight Thinking 1
Chapter 1 Appreciating Adolescence 3
Chapter 2 What's Normal? 9
Chapter 3 Risky Business 17
Chapter 4 Diagnosing Your Own Reactions 25
Chapter 5 Your New Job Description 31
Part II Don't Take It Personally 37
Chapter 6 Making Sense of the Snub 39
Chapter 7 "Don't Take It Personally" in Action 46
Part III Manage and Let Go 55
Chapter 8 Six Kids: Intervention Examples 57
Chapter 9 Establishing House Rules 61
Chapter 10 Managing the Big Four Risks 68
Chapter 11 Your Teens Have Their MBAs! 83
Chapter 12 Possible Intervention Roles 89
Part IV Stay m Touch 107
Chapter 13 What Not to Do: The Four Cardinal Sins 109
Chapter 14 What To Do 117
Part V Take Care of Yourself 129
Chapter 15 The Midlife Parent 131
Chapter 16 How to Take Care of Yourself 140
Part VI Relax and Enjoy the Movie 145
Chapter 17 Boomerang Kids 147
Chapter 18 The Future 151
Appendix: Managing Other Issues 155
About the Author 175