The Consumer Society Reader is the most substantial collection of classic and contemporary readings on consumption and consumer society for students of cultural studies and sociology of culture. From Karl Marx to Jean Baudrillard, the volume introduces students and researchers to the topics, themes, and preoccupations of twentieth-century consumer culture.
|Product dimensions:||6.80(w) x 9.70(h) x 0.90(d)|
About the Author
Martyn J. Lee is Senior Lecturer at Coventry University and teaches communication, culture, and media. He has been actively engaged in research around a variety of aspects concerning consumer society and consumption for a number of years. His publications include Consumer Culture Reborn (1993) and The Rise and Fall of Fordist Modernity (forthcoming).
Table of Contents
Part I: Theoretical and Conceptual Foundations.
1. Estranged Labour (Karl Marx).
2. The Fetishism of the Commodity and its Secret (KarlMarx).
3.Beyond Use Value (Jean Baudrillard).
4. Conspicuous Consumption (Thorstein Veblen).
5. The Puzzle of Modern Consumerism (Colin Campbell).
6. The Uses of Goods (Mary Douglas and Baron Isherwood).
7. Introduction to Distinction (Pierre Bourdieu).
8. Lifestyle and Consumer Culture (Mike Featherstone).
9. Object Domains, Ideology and Interests (Daniel Miller).
10. Object as Image: the Italian Scooter Cycle (DickHebdige).
11. "Making Do": Uses and Tactics (Michel deCerteau).
Part II: The Character of the Consumer Society.
12. Looking Backwards (Don Slater).
13. Assembling a New World of Facts (Stuart Ewen).
14. Was There Love on the Dole (Gary Cross).
15. A Child's Cartography (Sharon Zukin).
16. The Dependence Effect (John Kenneth Galbraith).
17. Vance Packard: "Growthmanship" (Vance Packard).
18. Textiles: The Fabric of Life (Ernest Dichter).
19. A New Language (Jean Baudrillard).
20. Aesthetic Abstraction of the Commodity:Surface-Package-Advertising Image (Wolfgang Fritz Haug).
21. The Bonding of Media and Advertising (William Leiss, StephenKline, and Sut Jhally).
22. The Characteristic Mode of Consumption of Fordism (MichelAglietta).
23. Theorizing the Transition (David Harvey).
24. The Politics of Consumption (Frank Mort).
25. The Commodities of Culture (John Fiske).
26. Dupes and Guerillas: The Dialectics of Cultural Consumption(John Clarke).
27. Sovereign Consumption (Jim McGuigan).
28. The Promotional Condition of Contemporary Culture (AndrewWernick).