Suitable for students and professionals alike, Dari: An Intermediate Textbook offers a thematically-organized approach to learning the Dari language with task-oriented, communicative activities that develop the four primary language skillsspeaking, listening, reading, and writing. Incorporating the latest innovations in foreign language teaching and pedagogy, this textbook enhances learners’ ability to communicate successfully with Dari speakers and more fully engage with a rich and vibrant culture.
Dari: An Intermediate Textbook prepares learners to perform at level 2 or 2+ on the ILR scale and at the Intermediate High to Advanced Low levels on the ACTFL scale.
• A DVD with videos filmed in the different regions of Afghanistan and audio by native speakers• Abundant cultural notes on Afghan society, customs, and nonverbal aspects of communication, such as body language and gestures• A functional approach to grammar with explanations presented in both written and spoken contexts to facilitate practice in both modalities• Additional notes for people with experience in Persian to help them learn Dari more efficiently• Chapter themes that facilitate understanding of daily Afghan life and culture
Minimum System Requirements for Multimedia• Intel Pentium III 1.26 GHz or faster• 512 MB RAM• CD/DVD Drive• Speakers or headphones
|Publisher:||Georgetown University Press|
|Product dimensions:||8.40(w) x 10.90(h) x 1.00(d)|
|Age Range:||18 Years|
About the Author
Rahman Arman is an Afghan languages developer at the Center for Languages of the Central Asian Region (CeLCAR) and a lecturer of language and culture in Central Eurasian Studies at Indiana University. He is certified by both ACTFL/ILR as an Afghan languages OPI (Oral Proficiency Interview) tester.
Table of Contents
Scope and SequenceForewordPrefaceReferencesA Brief Introduction to Dari
1. Let's Go to Kabul
2. Celebrating Traditions and Customs
3. Opening a Local Office
4. Opening a Business in Society
5. Learning about Afghan Society at Kabul University
6. Opening Computer Classes for Women
What People are Saying About This
This book reflects the best practices in teaching and learning world languages. The use of authentic materials through communicative, situational, and skill-based approaches in this book will improve linguistic and cultural competence of learners and will help them to use the Dari language appropriately in real life situations. If you are interested in learning the Dari language through effective pedagogies, this book is for you.