When Amelia Dunlop first heard the phrase "elevating the human experience" in a leadership team meeting with her boss, she thought, "He is crazy if he thinks we will ever say those words out loud to each other much less to a potential client."
We've been conditioned to separate our personal and professional selves, but work is fundamental to our human experience. Love and worth have a place in work because our humanity and authentic identities make our work better. The acknowledgement of our intrinsic worth as human beings and the nurturing of our own or another's growth through love ultimately contribute to higher performance and organizational growth. Now as the Chief Experience Officer at Deloitte Digital, a leading Experience Consultancy, Amelia Dunlop knows we must embrace elevating the human experience for the advancement and success of ourselves and our organizations.
This book integrates the findings of a quantitative study to better understand feelings of love and worth in the workplace and introduces three paths that allow individuals to create the professional experience they desire for themselves, their teams, and their clients.
- The first path explores the path of the self, an inward path where we learn to love ourselves when we show up for work, and examines the obstacles that hinder us.
- The second path centers around learning to love and recognize the worth of another in our lives, adding to the worth we feel and providing a source of meaning to our lives.
- The third path considers the community of work and learning to love and recognize the worth of those we meet every day at work, especially for those who may be systematically marginalized, unseen, or unrepresented.
Drawing on her own personal journey to find love and worth at work in her twenty-year career as a management consultant, Amelia also weaves together insights from philosophers, theologians, and sociologists with the stories of people from diverse backgrounds gathered during her research.
Elevating the Human Experience: Three Paths to Love and Worth at Work is for anyone who has felt the struggle to feel worthy at work, as well as for those who have no idea what it may feel like to struggle every day just to feel loved and worthy, but love people and lead people who do. It’s a practical approach to elevating the human experience that will lead to important conversations about values and purpose, and ultimately, meaningful change.
Related collections and offers
|Product dimensions:||9.10(w) x 6.10(h) x 0.60(d)|
About the Author
Table of ContentsPreface
The First Path: Self
5. Self-Love & Self-Worth
6. Cultivating Self-Love & Self-Worth
7. Obstacles to Self-Love & Self-Worth
The Second Path: Another
8.Love & Worth for Another
9.Cultivating Love & Worth for Another
10.Obstacles to Loving Another and Recognizing Their Worth
The Third Path: Community of Work
11. Love & Worth at Work
12. Cultivating Love & Worth for Others at Work
13. Obstacles to Loving Others and Recognizing Their Worth at Work
14.Tools to Elevate the Human Experience: Values, Emotions, and Trust
15.Capabilities to Elevate the Human Experience: Empathy, Curiosity, Integrity, and Grace
Love and Worth Quantitative Research
Reading Guide & Reflection Questions
About the Author