The epic, adventure-filled sequel to Hadon of Ancient Opar!
Published for the first time anywhere, the Restored Edition of Philip José Farmer’s Flight to Opar features nearly 4,000 words that were cut from Farmer’s original manuscript when the novel was published in 1976. This new Meteor House edition is the first and only publication of the novel ever to include the excised material, which encompasses long passages of narrative, dialogue, and rich world-building details on Ancient Opar and the civilization of Khokarsa that readers have never previously been able to enjoy―until now.
The Restored Edition of Flight to Opar also features rare and previously unpublished bonus material, including:
* A Preface to the Restored Edition by Christopher Paul Carey (coauthor with Philip José Farmer of The Song of Kwasin, the third novel in the Khokarsa series)
* A brand-new introduction by S. M. Stirling (New York Times bestselling author of the Change series)
* The Khokarsan Language by Philip José Farmer
* Khokarsan Glossary by Philip José Farmer and Christopher Paul Carey
* A Guide to Khokarsa by Christopher Paul Carey
* Early Notes on the Khokarsa Series by Philip José Farmer
* Original Outline to Flight to Opar by Philip José Farmer
* Cross-section Map of Opar by Philip José Farmer
Hadon of Opar was the winner of the Great Games and the rightful claimant to the throne of Khokarsa, a mighty empire that stretched along the shores of ancient Africa’s great inland seas. But the old king has refused to surrender his power, and Hadon finds himself caught in the middle of a bloody civil war between the zealous priests of the sun god and the beneficent priestesses of the great mother goddess.
Now a divination of the oracle hurls Hadon on his most dangerous adventure yet. With a tyrant’s armies and warships hot on their heels, Hadon and his companions must set out on a journey through perilous jungles and across storm-racked seas to reach the city of his birth―for only in far-flung golden Opar can he fulfill the oracle’s prophecy and save the land from utter doom.
About the Author
Philip José Farmer (1918-2009) was an award-winning science fiction author who wrote more than 70 novels. He is best known for the Riverworld series of books and the fan-favorite The World of Tiers series. Farmer often mixed real and fictional elements in his books, as epitomized by his Wold Newton series. In 2001, he was awarded the Grand Master Prize from the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and won a World Fantasy Lifetime Achievement Award.