Cornelia Thurza Crosby's remarkable life (1854-1946) gave rise to a certain amount of legend: she was the first woman to legally shoot a caribou in Maine, held the first Maine Guide license issued, caught 200 trout in one day (and was an early advocate for catch-and-release), and was rumored to have shot against Annie Oakley in a sharpshooting competition. Julia Hunter's insightful biography separates fact from fiction while exploring the career of a woman who worked tirelessly to promote the sporting life in Maine at the turn of the century.
Miss Crosby was an articulate writer herself, and her column, "Fly Rod's Note Book," was syndicated throughout the eastern United States. The Maine Central Railroad employed her to travel to expositions and fairs, where in her outdoor dress of dark green doeskin with a scandalously short skirt, she stood in front of a small log camp decorated with the paraphenalia and trophies of the sporting life, spoke with passersby about the delights of Maine, and showed them her scrapbook of photographsenticing them to travel the rails to the woods.
Many of the photographs in her album were taken by E. R. Starbird, a commercial photographer specializing in Maine woods views. Nearly a hundred imagesof hunting and fishing, sporting camps, lakes and streams and rivers, are reproduced in the second half of this book, along with an essay on Starbird's work by Earle Shettleworth. Excerpts from Fly Rod's writings add to this fascinating picture of the Maine woods at the turn of the century and provide further insight on the unusual life of this remarkable woman.
Author Biography: Julia Hunter is the registrar andcurator of textiles of the Maine State Museum; Earle G. Shettleworth, Jr., is the director of the Maine Historic Preservation Commission.
|Publisher:||Tilbury House Publishers|
|Product dimensions:||8.40(w) x 9.30(h) x 0.70(d)|
About the Author
Earle G. Shettleworth Jr. was appointed to the first board of the Maine Historic Preservation Commission in 1971 and has served as director of the commission since 1976 and as Maine State Historian since 2004.