GSM, GPRS and EDGE Performance: Evolution Towards 3G/UMTS / Edition 2 available in Hardcover
- Pub. Date:
Cellular operators must now roll out new 3G technologies capableof delivering wireless Internet based multimedia services in acompetitive and cost-effective way and this volume, divided intothree parts, helps to explain how:
1. Provides an introduction to the complete evolution of GSMtowards a radio access network that efficiently supports UMTSservices (GERAN).
2. Features a comprehensive study of system performance withsimulations and field trials. Covers all the major features such asbasic GSM, GPRS, EDGE and AMR and the full capability of the GERANradio interface for 3G service support is envisaged.
3. Discusses different 3G radio technologies and the position ofGERAN within such technologies.
Featuring fully revised and updated chapters throughout, thesecond edition contains 90 pages of new material and featuresthe following new sections, enabling this reference to remain as aleading text in the area:
- Expanded material on GPRS
- Includes IMS architecture (Rel’5) and GERAN (Rel’6)features
- Presents field trial results for AMR and narrowband
- Provides EGPRS deployment guidelines
- Features a new chapter on Service Performance
An invaluable reference for Engineering Professionals, Researchand Development Engineers, Business Development Managers,Technical Managers and Technical Specialists working for cellularoperators
|Product dimensions:||6.70(w) x 9.70(h) x 1.60(d)|
Table of ContentsAcknowledgements.
PART 1: GERAN EVOLUTION.
1. GSM/EDGE Standards Evolution (up to Rel'4) (M. Hakaste, etal.).
2. Evolution of GERAN Standardisation (Rel'5, Rel'6 andbeyond) (E. Nikula, et al.).
3. GERAN QoS Evolution Towards UMTS (E. Ala-Tauriala, etal.).
4. Mobile Station Location (M. Weckström, etal.).
PART 2: GSM, GPRS AND EDGE PERFORMANCE.
5. Basics of GSM Radio Communication and Spectral Efficiency (J.Melero, et al.).
6. GSM/AMR and SAIC Voice Performance (J. Melero, etal.).
7. GPRS and EGPRS Performance (J. Romero, et al.).
8. Packet Data Services and End-user Performance (G. Gomez,et al.).
9. Dynamic Frequency and Channel Allocation (M.Salmenkaita).
10. Narrowband Deployment (A. Rivada, et al.).
11. Link Performance Enhancements (R. Pirhonen, etal.).
12. Control Channels Performance and Dimensioning (T.Kähkönen & J. Navarro).
13. Automation and Optimisation (V. Wille, et al.).
PART 3: 3G EVOLUTION PATHS.
14. IMT-2000 3G Radio Access Technologies (J. Melero, etal.).
15. 3G Technology Strategy and Evolution Paths (J. Melero).
Appendix A: MAIO Management Limitations.
Appendix B: Hardware Dimensioning Studies.
Appendix C: Mapping Link Gain to Network Capacity Gain.
Appendix D: Interference between GSM/EDGE and Other CellularRadio Technologies.
Appendix E: Simulation Tools.
Appendix F: Trial Partners.
What People are Saying About This
"This book is a one-stop shop for everything you want to know about GPRS and EDGE systems…would be a valuable reference…" (E-STREAMS, July 2004)