Hormone Repair Manual is a practical guide to feeling better in your 40s, 50s, and beyond. It explains how to navigate the change of perimenopause and relieve symptoms with natural treatments such as diet, nutritional supplements, and bioidentical hormone therapy.
- Why everything is different after "second puberty."
- How perimenopause can be a tipping point for long-term health.
- The four phases of perimenopause.
- The role of testosterone and insulin in weight gain.
- How to speak with your doctor about hormone therapy including natural progesterone.
- Treatment protocols for all common perimenopause symptoms including night sweats, insomnia, migraines, and heavy periods.
- Risk reduction for osteoporosis, heart disease, and dementia.
Written by best-selling author and naturopathic doctor, Lara Briden, the book is backed by evidence-based research and real-world patient stories.
Related collections and offers
|Product dimensions:||6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.73(d)|
About the Author
Table of Contents
Part One: Understanding perimenopause and menopause
1. Hormone revolution: why everything is different after second puberty
- Perimenopause is second puberty and is temporary
- Perimenopause is a sequence of events
- Perimenopause is a critical window for health
- How bad is it going to be?
2. Stigma, freedom, grief, and everything in between
- Stigma and shame
- Freedom and invisibility
- The meaning of menopause through an evolutionary lens
3. Cycle while you can: the value of natural, ovulatory menstrual cycles
- Ovulation builds health
- Can you still cycle, or are you in menopause?
- Contraception for perimenopause
4. The hormonal and physiological changes of second puberty
- Losing progesterone
- High and fluctuating estrogen
- Losing estrogen
- Diagnosis of perimenopause
- The timing of perimenopause
- When menopause comes early
Part Two: Treatment
5. General maintenance for perimenopause and beyond
- Autonomic nervous system
- Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis
- Circadian rhythm
- Insulin resistance
- Digestive health
- Environmental toxins
- Nourish your body
6. Menopausal hormone therapy (MHT)
- Types of hormone therapy
- Hormone therapy for perimenopause
- Hormone therapy for menopause
- Troubleshooting hormone therapy
7. Rewiring the brain: help for hot flashes, sleep, migraines, memory, and mood
- Basic action plan for brain reorganization
- Hot flashes
- Mood symptoms
8. Bodily issues: weight gain, thyroid disease, allergies, and aches and pains
- Reversing insulin resistance and losing abdominal weight
- Autoimmune thyroid disease
- Aches and pains
9. Estrogen rollercoaster: crazy heavy periods and breast pain
- Normal period pain
- Endometriosis and adenomyosis
- Anovulatory bleeding
- Breast pain
10. What comes after
- Genitourinary syndrome of menopause (GSM)
- Facial hair and hair loss
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Risk reduction for osteoporosis
- Risk reduction for heart disease and stroke
- Risk reduction for dementia
Appendix A: Resources
Appendix B: Glossary