Our clothes conceal our naked bodies but what do they reveal about our souls?
"Clothes assume a primary importance as a vehicle that suggests character, provides insights into a person's identity and even governs it…. But the problem is that if Oscar Wilde is correct that 'if you give a man a mask, he will tell you the truth,' then what exactly conveys the truth? Is it the person him or herself or is it the mask, the clothing that he or she wears, that reveals deeper images of self?"from the Introduction
In this highly engaging look at clothing and identity in the Bible, renowned teacher and scholar Norman Cohen presents ten Bible stories that involve clothing in an essential way, as a means of learning about the text, its characters and their interactions. But he also shows us how these stories help us confront our own life dramas, our own stories, ourselves. In doing so, he once again presents the Bible as a mirror, reflecting back to us our own personalities, ambivalences, struggles and potential for growth. By helping us uncover the garments of the Bible, Cohen shows us how to shed our own layers of insulation to reveal our authentic selves.
|Publisher:||Turner Publishing Company|
|Product dimensions:||5.60(w) x 8.50(h) x 0.60(d)|
About the Author
Dr. Norman J. Cohen is widely recognized as one of the great teachers of his generation. A rabbi, professor emeritus of midrash and former provost of Hebrew Union College–Jewish Institute of Religion, he frequently lectures to Jewish and Christian laypeople and scholars on Bible study and midrashfinding contemporary meaning from ancient biblical texts. Cohen was a participant in Bill Moyers's Genesis: A Living Conversation on PBS. He is author of Self, Struggle & Change: Family Conflict Stories in Genesis and Their Healing Insights for Our Lives; Voices from Genesis: Guiding Us through the Stages of Life; Moses and the Journey to Leadership: Timeless Lessons of Effective Management from the Bible and Today's Leaders; Hineni in Our Lives: Learning How to Respond to Others through 14 Biblical Texts & Personal Stories and The Way Into Torah (all Jewish Lights).
Table of Contents
1. Divine Garments of CreationConcealing Our Nakedness, Revealing Our Inner Core (GENESIS 3)
2. Noah's Garments after the FloodEnsuring Protection or Covering Shame? (GENESIS 9)
3. The Garments of DisguiseAm I Jacob or Esau?Revealing and Concealing Identity (GENESIS 27)
4. Stripping Joseph of His Special CoatA Symbol of Power and Status, a Source of Pain and Isolation (GENESIS 37)
5. Tamar Confronts JudahMasks Can Reveal More Than They Conceal about Us (GENESIS 38)
6. Joseph and Potiphar's WifeUncovering True Identity (GENESIS 39)
7. Aaron's Death and the Symbolism of the Priestly GarmentsVehicles of Holiness and Transformation (NUMBERS 20)
8. David Dons Saul’sArmor Wearing Our Garments, Embracing Our Own Identity (1 AND 2 SAMUEL)
9. Elijah and ElishaTransferring the Prophet’s MantlePassing on Authority, Wearing It in Individual Ways (1 AND 2 KINGS)
10. Esther, Mordechai, and HamanChange of Garments; Change of Identity (THE BOOK OF ESTHER)
EpilogueAcknowledgmentsNotesSuggested Further Readings