A companion to Embedded Generation (IET, 2000), this book is a timely publication for an evolving industry. Renewable energy, ancillary services and deregulation of the power industry are changing electricity delivery networks. Microgrids, smartgrids and active distribution networks require a sound understanding of the basic concepts, generation technologies, impacts, operation, control and management, economic viability and market participation involved in grid integration. Practicing engineers in utilities and industry, researchers and students will appreciate this lucid description of the technologies that will enable future electricity systems.
About the Author
S. Chowdhury is a Senior Research Officer at the Electrical Engineering Department, University of Cape Town, South Africa. She was a consulting engineer at M.N. Dastur and Co. Ltd from 1991 to 1996 and then held various academic posts at Women's Polytechnic, Kolkata, India from 1998 to 2007. She is a member of the IET, IE (India) and IEEE.
S.P. Chowdhury is Associate Professor at the Electrical Engineering Department, University of Cape Town, South Africa. He was Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Reader then Professor at Jadavpur University, India between 1993 and 2008. He is a fellow of the IET (with CEng), IE (India) and IETE (India), and member of the IEEE. He is on the IET Knowledge Management Board, previously Technical Professional Service Board.
P. Crossley has been Director of the Joule Centre since 2008 and Professor of Power Systems since 2006 at the University of Manchester. He was at Queen's University, Belfast as Professor and Director of the Power and Energy research cluster from 2002 to 2006 and at UMIST as Lecturer, Senior Lecturer then Reader from 1991 to 2002.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: Distributed generation and Microgrid concept
- Chapter 2: Distributed energy resources
- Chapter 3: Impacts of Microgrid
- Chapter 4: Microgrid and active distribution network management system
- Chapter 5: Protection issues for Microgrids
- Chapter 6: Power electronic interfaces
- Chapter 7: SCADA and active distribution networks
- Chapter 8: Impact of DG integration on power quality and reliability
- Chapter 9: Microgrid economics
- Chapter 10: Market participation of Microgrids