Our world hinges on storytelling and the ways in which stories can be told are always evolving. For students to become future-ready, confident creators of original content, they need opportunities to share their stories. Moviemaking helps students showcase their learning, process their lives and connect with others in a meaningful way.
Moviemaking in the Classroom breaks down the process of digital storytelling to help teachers plan efficient and effective instructional sequences. The book provides guidance on how to purposefully build visual and audio literacy skills to improve student work and increase student efficacy in the creative process. Also included are practical suggestions for removing barriers from the storytelling process, such as how to provide more opportunities for students to tell their stories during a single academic year.
- Shows teachers how to create efficient and effective lesson sequences with digital storytelling in mind, particularly in a blended learning environment.
- Supports teachers who are new to digital storytelling by showing the impact and importance of providing students with multiple opportunities to tell their stories.
- Offers project ideas for teachers already implementing digital storytelling in their classes and shows how to streamline workflow and improve their professional practice.
- Supports distance and remote learning through a full chapter on strategies for applying these practices to a distance learning environment.
- Fosters diversity, inclusion and student empowerment by showcasing student examples on topics including racism, death and illness, immigration, gun violence and pollution.
This book provides insight, inspiration and practical ideas to empower teachers of all content areas to implement moviemaking projects with their students using best practices.
Audience: 3-12 educators
|International Society for Technology in Education
|7.50(w) x 9.25(h) x (d)
About the Author
Table of Contents
Part 1 Why Story?
Chapter 1 My Storytelling Journey 3
Chapter 2 Why Stories Resonate 11
Chapter 3 The Power of Student Voices 21
Part 2 The Nuts and Bolts of Storytelling Through Moviemaking
Chapter 4 The Storytelling & Moviemaking Process 35
Chapter 5 Integrating Moviemaking into the Curriculum 55
Chapter 6 Storytelling Mini Lessons 75
Chapter 7 Removing Barriers from Storytelling 89
Part 3 Getting Started with Students
Chapter 8 Quick-Start Moviemaking Lesson Ideas 105
Chapter 9 Storytelling in Online Learning Environments 123