Want it by Wednesday, October 24?
Order by 12:00 PM Eastern and choose Expedited Shipping at checkout.
Same Day shipping in Manhattan. See Details
500 of the most absurd and horrifying things that happen in nature!
Crashing waves, stunning sunsets, sprawling landscapes. Nature is beautiful, right? Wrong. Nature Is the Worst. Need proof?
- The giant pitcher plant not only eats bugs, it's large enough to trap small mammals.
- Almost 90 percent of the koala population in Australia has chlamydia.
- A hailstorm in Bangladesh in 1986 killed 92 people with giant balls of ice weighing more than 2 pounds apiece.
- Crocodiles can climb trees.
- The poisonous Dracunculus vulgaris, or voodoo lily, smells like rotting flesh, looks like it's splattered in blood, and features a central black spike that can grow up to 4 feet tall.
- Cats often kill their first litter.
- A "haboob" is a biblically-huge wall of dust that can reduce visibility to zero, reach a height of 5,000 feet and stretch as far as 100 miles wide.
- Vampire bats are totally real, and yes, they love blood.
|Product dimensions:||5.50(w) x 7.50(h) x 0.70(d)|
About the Author
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Denizens of the Deep and Lurkers of the Lakes 9
Chapter 2 Backstabbing Birds and Other Airborne Atrocities 47
Chapter 3 Pernicious Parasites and Baleful Bacteria 77
Chapter 4 Insidious insects, Surreptitious Spiders, and Other Vindictive Vermin 111
Chapter 5 Menacing Mammal Maliciousness 147
Chapter 6 Poisonous Plants and Fearsome Fungi 181
Chapter 7 Ravenous Reptiles and Appalling Amphibians 209
Chapter 8 Wrathful Weather and Other Nefarious Natural Phenomena 241