The Nietzsche Reader brings together in one volume substantial selections from the entire body of Nietzsche’s writings, together with illuminating commentary on Nietzsche’s life and importance, and introductions to his major works and philosophical ideas.
• Includes selections from all the major texts, including The Birth of Tragedy, The Gay Science, Thus Spoke Zarathustra, Beyond Good and Evil, The Anti-Christ, and Ecce Homo
• Offers new translations of key pieces from Nietzsche’s unpublished “Lenzer Heide” notebook
• Provides a wealth of pedagogical features, such as editorial sections on Nietzsche’s life and importance, an opening introduction to his philosophical ideas, introductions to each major section, and a comprehensive guide to further reading
|Series:||Wiley Blackwell Readers Series|
|Product dimensions:||6.80(w) x 9.80(h) x 1.12(d)|
Table of Contents
A Chronology Friedrich Nietzsche..
Part I: Beginnings.
1. Fate and History: Thoughts (1862).
2. Freedom of Will and Fate (1862).
3. My Life (1863).
4. On Moods (1864).
5. On Schopenhauer (1868)..
Part II: Early Writings.
6. The Birth of Tragedy from the Spirit of Music (1872).
7. The Greek State (1871-2).
8. Homer's Contest (1872).
9. Philosophy in the Tragic Age of the Greeks (1873).
10. On Truth and Lies in a Nonmoral Sense (1873).
11. On the Utility and Liability of History for Life (1874).
12. Schopenhauer as Educator (1874)..
Part III: The Middle Period.
13. Human, All to Human: A Book for Free Spirits, volume 1 (1878).
14. Daybreak: Thoughts on the Prejudices of Morality (1881).
15. The gay Science (1881).
16. Notes from 1881..
Part IV: Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
17. Thus Spoke Zarathustra: A Book for Everyone and No One (1883-5)..
Part V: The Later Writings.
18. Beyond Good and Evil: Prelude to a Philosophy of the Future (1886).
19. The Gay Science, Book V (1887).
20. European Nihilism (1887).
21. On the Genealogy of Morality: A Polemic (1887).
22. The Case of Wagner: A Musicians' Problem (1888).
23. Twilight o the Idols; or, How to Philosophize with a Hammer (1888).
24. The Anti-Christ: Curse on Christianity (1888).
25. Ecce Homo: How One Becomes What One Is (1888).
26. Four Letters (1888-9).
A Guide to Further Reading.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
great collection and nice translation