What more than rewards the reading of these volumes…are the splashes of wit, the funny episodes, the hints of intrigue, the eyewitness accounts of historic moments, and, above all, the reminder of what a passionate participant in life John Adams was.
The heated question of pay for soldiers and officers strained relations between New England and southern colonies early. By refusing to confront the issue of slavery when it was raised by several correspondents, Adams sought to avoid exacerbating regional sensitivities further. When the question of independent governments for former colonies arose, at the request of several colleagues Adams sketched a model, Thoughts on Government, three versions of which are included here.
His optimistic republicanism, however, was balanced by fear that a “Spirit of Commerce” would undermine the virtue requisite for republican institutions. Adams' important committee work included his draft in 1775 of rules for regulation of the Continental Navy, which have remained the basis for the governance of the United States Navy down into our own time, and his plan of treaties, which would guide American diplomats up to World War II. Both were derivative, but he skillfully adapted his materials to American needs and circumstances. These volumes reflect the spirit of those tumultuous years when the leaders emerging in America confronted each other, and exciting new ideas, as they tried to resolve the issues of a revolutionary period.
What more than rewards the reading of these volumes...are the splashes of wit, the funny episodes, the hints of intrigue, the eyewitness accounts of historic moments, and, above all, the reminder of what a passionate participant in life John Adams was.
- 18th Century American History - General & Miscellaneous
- 18th Century American History - Politics & Government
- 19th Century American History - Politics & Government - General & Miscellaneous
- American Colonial History - General & Miscellaneous
- American Revolution - Politics & Government
- Massachusetts - State & Local History
- Northeast & Mid-Atlantic State & Local Government
- Presidents of the United States - Biography
- Presidents of the United States - General & Miscellaneous
- U.S. Politics & Government - 1607 - 1811