Leon Rubin and I Nyoman Sedana, both international theatre professionals as well as scholars, collaborate to give an understanding of performance culture in Bali from inside and out.
The book describes four specific forms of contemporary performance that are unique to Bali:
- Wayang shadow-puppet theatre
- Sanghyang ritual trance performance
- Gambuh classical dance-drama
- the virtuoso art of Topeng masked theatre.
These culturally unique and beautiful theatrical events are contextualised within religious, intellectual and social backgrounds to give unparalleled insight into the mind and world of the Balinese performer.
About the Author
Professor Leon Rubin is Director of East 15 Acting School, University of Essex.
Dr I Nyoman Sedana is a Professor at the Indonesian Arts Institute (ISI) in Bali, Indonesia.
Table of Contents
1. Past and Present 2. Wayang Shadow Theatre 3. Sanghyang Trance Performance 4. Gambuh Classical Performance 5. Topeng Masked Theatre 6. The Future. Travel Advisory