Teachers are required to increase the rigor for students, but how? This book by bestselling author and rigor expert Barbara Blackburn has the answer! It is a treasure chest of more than 200 practical and highly-effective tools that can be used across grade levels and subject areas to increase student rigor, leading your students to higher engagement and deeper learning.
Topics covered include…
- Asking higher-level questions
- Scaffolding to help all students achieve success
- Differentiating instruction and using modifications
- Fostering independence through gradual release of responsibility
- Increasing text difficulty and teaching close reading
- Setting high expectations
- Changing students’ views of success
- Encouraging effort and goal-setting
- Creating an environment that is conducive to learning
- Using effective grading policies and assessment tools
- Working with parents, colleagues, and administrators
- And much, much more!
Rigor in Your Classroom will be your go-to resource throughout the school year, as you continually return to it to try new tools with your students. Bonus: The tools are accompanied by graphic organizers, charts, templates, and reproducibles for easy implementation.
|Publisher:||Taylor & Francis|
|Product dimensions:||8.50(w) x 11.00(h) x 0.80(d)|
About the Author
Dr. Barbara Blackburn is the bestselling author of fourteen books and is a sought-after national and international consultant. She was an award-winning professor at Winthrop University and has taught early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students.
Table of Contents
Meet the Author
Chapter 1: Understanding Rigor
Chapter 2. Raise Expectations through High Standards
Chapter 3. Raise Expectations through Questioning and Adult Behaviors
Chapter 4. Increase Depth of Instruction
Chapter 5. Give Support
Chapter 6. Options for Assessment
Chapter 7: Reinvigorate the Environment
Chapter 8: Extend Your Reach