"Show, don’t tell" is probably the single most-important piece of advice given to writers. But many writers struggle to understand this powerful principle or have difficulty applying it to their own work. Even experienced authors sometimes don’t grasp the finer nuances of showing and telling.
In this book, Sandra Gerth draws on her experience as an editor and a best-selling author to show you how to show and tell you when to tell.
Each chapter includes concrete examples and exercises that will hone your writing skills.
Whether you’re a novice writer working on your first story or an established author who has already learned the basics of showing and telling, this book will help you to:
- Grasp the difference between showing and telling.
- Understand why showing is such a powerful tool.
- Spot telling in your own manuscript.
- Fix bland passages and turn them into compelling scenes.
- Keep from telling what you have already shown.
- Avoid the three danger areas of telling.
- Describe your characters and your setting in interesting ways.
- Put powerful emotions into your writing.
- Incorporate backstory into your novel without resorting to telling.
- Recognize telling in dialogue.
- Avoid overshowing and swamping your readers with too many details.
- Learn when telling is actually a good thing.
- Immerse your readers into your story and keep them captivated from beginning to end.
About the Author
Sandra Gerth is a writer and an editor who divides her time between writing her own books and helping other writers revise and polish theirs. She holds a degree in psychology and worked as a psychologist for eight years before transitioning into a career as a full-time novelist—the best job in the world as far as she’s concerned. She earned a certificate in editing from the Academy of German Book Trade and is now the senior editor of Ylva Publishing, a small press that publishes women’s fiction. Under her pen name, Jae, she has published an ever-growing number of novels, novellas, and short stories, most of them in English and in German. Her books have won numerous awards and have been #1 bestsellers on Amazon on various occasions. She’s also the author of a series of nonfiction books for writers, including Goal Setting for Writers and Time Management for Writers.