Studying Shakespeare: A Guide to the Plays / Edition 1 available in Paperback
This engaging book draws on all of Shakespeare's plays to show they can still be used as a guide to life.
- Introduces beginning students and general readers to Shakespeare's plays by highlighting the connections between the issues addressed by the plays and those of our own time.
- Focuses on the characters, situations and stories in Shakespeare which are still familiar today.
- Shows how Shakespeare's plays illustrate some of life's most familiar stories - love and obsession, parents and children, sex and politics, suffering and revenge
- Makes Shakespeare’s plays accessible to the widest possible audience.
|Product dimensions:||6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.80(d)|
About the Author
Laurie Maguire is a Fellow of Magdalen College, Oxford and a Lecturer in English at Oxford University. She is the author of Shakespearean Suspect Texts (1996) and co-editor of Textual Formations and Reformations (1998), among other publications.
Table of Contents
List Of Illustrations.
1. Private Life: Shakespeare And Selfhood:.
The Divided Self.
Comedy Of Errors; As You Like It.
Naming The Self.
Troilus And Cressida; Romeo And Juliet; Taming Of The Shrew.
The Self And Language.
Measure For Measure; Troilus And Cressida.
The National Self.
Othello; King Lear.
The Self At Play.
Love’s Labour’s Lost; Taming Of The Shrew.
2. Marital Life: Shakespeare And Romance:.
Love And Hazard.
Merchant Of Venice.
Love And Friendship.
Two Gentlemen Of Verona; Winter’s Tale; Two Noble Kinsmen.
Love And Madness.
Midsummer Night’s Dream; Cymbeline; All’s Well; Measure For Measure; Troilus And Cressida.
Marriage And Identity.
Comedy Of Errors; All’s Well; Taming Of The Shrew.
Love And Abuse.
The Taming Of The Shrew; Merry Wives Of Windsor; Othello; Troilus And Cressida.
3. Political Life: Shakespeare And Government:.
3 Henry 6; Richard 3; 1 Henry 4; 2 Henry 4; Henry 5; Coriolanus; Julius Caesar.
Richard 2; Macbeth.
The Personal Versus The Political.
Richard 2; Henry 4; Henry 5.
4. Public Life: Shakespeare And Social Structures:.
Macbeth; Merchant Of Venice; Romeo And Juliet; Merry Wives Of Windsor; Timon Of Athens.
Women And Public Life.
Antony And Cleopatra; King John; Measure For Measure.
Titus Andronicus; Much Ado About Nothing; All’s Well.
5.Real Life: Shakespeare And Suffering:.
Twelfth Night; King Lear; Much Ado.
Hamlet; Twelfth Night.
King Lear; Macbeth.
Anger And Revenge.
Cymbeline; Pericles; Winter’s Tale; Tempest; Henry 8; Two Noble Kinsmen.