The Create-Your-Plate Diabetes Cookbook is the foolproof guide to diabetes meal planning you’ve been waiting for!
The Diabetes Plate Method is an effortless way to plan diabetes-friendly meals without any counting, measuring, tracking, or calculations—the only tool you need is a plate! Learn how to build perfectly-portioned meals with a healthy balance of vegetables, protein, and just the right amount of carbohydrates to manage diabetes and support a healthy lifestyle. With 125 mix-and-match recipes to choose from, you’ll never run out of ideas for easy, delicious meals the whole family will enjoy. You’ll find recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks, such as:
- Avocado Toast with Turkey Bacon
- Mediterranean Stuffed Pitas
- Cinnamon Roasted Nuts
- Roasted Salmon with Chimichurri Sauce
- Sheet-Pan Chicken with Artichokes and Onions
- Weeknight Vegetable Stir Fry
More than just a cookbook, you’ll also find:
- A step-by-step guide to using the Diabetes Plate Method to plan perfectly-portioned, diabetes-friendly meals
- An introduction to cooking and eating well to manage diabetes and support heart health
- A one-week meal plan including breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks plus over 15 additional sample plates
- Photos of sample plates to give you a visual guide to the Diabetes Plate Method approach to meal planning
Every recipe in this essential diabetes cookbook was designed to meet the nutrition guidelines of the American Diabetes Association, so you can create your plate with confidence knowing you’re preparing fun, flavorful, and nutritious meals. Whether you’re new to managing diabetes or prediabetes or are simply looking for a stress-free approach to healthy meal planning, this book is the first step on your journey to a healthier you!
|Publisher:||American Diabetes Association|
|Product dimensions:||8.00(w) x 10.00(h) x (d)|
|Age Range:||18 Years|
About the Author
With twenty years of experience in the food and nutrition industry, Toby Amidor, MS, RD, CDN is a Wall Street Journal best-selling cookbook author, leading dietitian and recipe developer who believes that healthy and wholesome can also be appetizing and delicious.
Toby is the founder of Toby Amidor Nutrition, where she provides nutrition and food safety consulting services for individuals, restaurants, and food brands. Her four cookbooks include Smart Meal Prep for Beginners, The Easy 5-Ingredient Healthy Cookbook, The Healthy Meal Prep Cookbook, and The Greek Yogurt Kitchen. She also has two upcoming cookbooks to be released in 2019/2020 including The Create-Your-Plate Diabetes Cookbook and The Best Rotisserie Chicken Cookbook Ever. For 11 years she has been the nutrition expert for FoodNetwork.com, writing for their Healthy Eats Blog, and is a regular contributor to the U.S. News and World Report Eat + Run blog, and MensJournal.com, MuscleandFitness.com, Shape.com. She also has her own “Ask the Expert” column in Today’s Dietitian magazine. She has been quoted in publications like FoxNews.com, Self.com, Oxygen Magazine, Dr. Oz The Good Life, Reader’s Digest, Shape.com, and more. Toby has also appeared on television including shows like The Dr. Oz Show, Coffee with America, Good Day Street Talk, and San Antonio Live. For the past 10 years she has been an adjunct professor at Teachers College, Columbia University and is also an adjunct at Hunter College in New York City teaching food service management.
Toby trained as a clinical dietitian at New York University. Through ongoing consulting and faculty positions, she has established herself as one of the top experts in culinary nutrition, food safety, and media communications. In 2018, Toby was awarded by the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics the coveted Media Excellence Award.
Read an Excerpt
Sample Recipe: Caprese Quinoa Salad with Steak
Technically a seed, quinoa has such similar characteristics and preparation methods to a grain that it is grouped as such. It has a mild, nutty flavor and a pleasing chewy texture. Although the dry quinoa beads look rather tiny, they expand to four times their size when cooked!
Total Time: 40 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Serving Size: 1 3/4 cups
3/4 cup quinoa
1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pound beef loin or strip steak, trimmed of fat
Nonstick cooking spray
3 cups grape tomatoes, halved
3 scallions, thinly sliced (both white and green parts)
1 1/2 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes
- In a medium pot, bring the quinoa and vegetable broth to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover the pot, and simmer until the broth has been absorbed and the quinoa is soft and fluffy, about 15 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and use a fork to fluff the quinoa.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the extra-virgin olive oil, garlic, thyme, salt, and black pepper. Add the steak and toss to evenly coat. Preheat a grill pan or grill over high heat. Coat the grill pan with nonstick cooking spray or brush the grill grates with olive oil. When the spray or oil is shimmering, place the steak on the grill and discard the excess rub. Grill until the steak reaches an internal temperature of 145°F, 3–5 minutes on each side. Transfer the steak to a plate and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing into 1-inch strips.
- Add the cooled quinoa, tomatoes, scallions, and mozzarella to a large bowl and toss to combine. Top with the steak strips.
Toby Tip: Serve this salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette (page XX) or Lite Balsamic Vinaigrette (page XX).
Choices/Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch, 1 Nonstarchy Vegetable, 4 Lean Protein, 1 Fat
Calories 360, Calories from Fat 120, Total Fat 13 g, Saturated Fat 3.6 g, Trans Fat 0.2 g, Cholesterol 50 mg, Sodium 220 mg, Potassium 830 mg, Total Carbohydrate 29 g, Dietary Fiber 4 g, Sugars 6 g, Added Sugars 0 g, Protein 31 g, Phosphorus 435 mg
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Create Your Plate 1
Chapter 2 Heart-Healthy Cooking 28
Chapter 3 Sample Plates 42
Chapter 4 Breakfasts 64
Chapter 5 Snacks 84
Chapter 6 Appetizers 104
Chapter 7 Smoothies & Low-Calorie Beverages 124
Chapter 8 Soups & Main Salads 138
Chapter 9 Main Dishes 154
Chapter 10 Side Dishes 186
Chapter 11 DIPS, Condiments & Salad Dressings 208
Aboutthe Author 236