Who was Peter and what was his true stature in the early church? For Protestants at least, Peter seems caught between two caricatures: the rustic fisherman of Galilee and the author of two lesser New Testament letters. And in both cases he is overshadowed by Paul.
In The Life and Witness of Peter, Larry Helyer seeks to reinstate this neglected and underestimated apostle to his rightful stature as an early Christian leader and faithful witness to Christ.
Reconstructing Peter's life, theology and legacy from evidence in 1 and 2 Peter, the Gospels, Acts, Paul's letters, and texts from the early church, Helyer renders a great service for students of the New Testament. We are introduced to Peter the eyewitness who stands behind much of Mark's Gospel, Peter the preacher who lends deep credibility to the account of Acts, and Peter the letter-writer whose words glow with spiritual intelligence. Along the way we are rewarded with a careful analysis of prominent theological themes in Peter's letters. And we learn much about the traditions, legends and legacy of Peter in the post-apostolic era
|Product dimensions:||6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 1.10(d)|
About the Author
For twenty nine years Larry R. Helyer was professor of biblical studies at Taylor University in Upland, Indiana. Now retired, he continues to write on theological topics and serve as an adjunct professor in the United States and abroad. He is the author of Exploring Jewish Literature of the Second Temple Period.
Table of Contents
1. Background of Simon Peter
2. Peter in the Gospels: Part One: Call to Confession
3. Peter in the Gospels: Part Two: Transfiguration to Resurrection
4. Peter and the Early Church: The Book of Acts
5. Peter in Paul's Letters
6. 1 Peter: Encyclical to Exiles
7. Peter's Christology
8. Christ and the Spirits, Christ and the Holy Spirit
9. Suffering for Jesus
10. The People of God
11. 2 Peter: Introductory Questions
12. Theological Themes in 2 Peter
13. The Character and Destiny of the False Teachers
14. Eschatology of 2 Peter
15. The Rest of the Story: Tradition
16. The Rest of the Story: Legends About Peter
17. The Rest of the Story: Peter's Legacy