Internationally acclaimed scientist and best selling author, Dr. Michael Colgan explains the right way to gain maximum strength, speed, and endurance.
LARGE FORMAT | Fully Illustrated | 384 pages | Quality Softcover
Although this best selling book is about weight training, it is NOT a book about bodybuilding! It is a book about achieving maximum strength, speed, and endurance.
Unlike bodybuilders, who do not have to perform on the playing field, athletes should never train heavy all year long.
The most a human body can take of any heavy weight program is about 60 minutes. After that, hormone levels start to decline, neural fatigue sets in, and further weight work will not increase muscle power, or even muscle mass, according to Dr. Colgan.
To back up his claims, Colgan typically sites mountains of scientific evidence, as well as his own experience with hundreds of athletes to demonstrate how over-training creates injury and long-term fatigue of the human nervous system.
This large format, fully illustrated training manual can be used to increase the power, endurance, and speed of athletes of all levels, from weekend warriors - to Olympic medalists.
Discover the secrets of true power - on and off the playing field...
- Learn about the Power Posture before you begin training - without it, you're doing it all wrong
- Find out why most stretching exercises don't work - and learn the correct way that greatly increases power
- Build powerful, injury-free shoulders
- Discover the secrets of powerful movement, and why you must train your body from the inside, out
- Adopt the New Power Diet and gain maximum strength through supplementation
- Program your mind to master the 10 components of true athletic power
- Know why conventional bodybuilding training does not produce real power - and what you should do instead
- Learn the secrets of the "Link Cycle", and train your nervous system to convert strength into explosive power on the playing field
|Publisher:||Apple Tree Pub Co Ltd|
|Product dimensions:||8.50(w) x 11.00(h) x 1.00(d)|
About the Author
His professional memberships include the American College of Sports Medicine, the New York Academy of Sciences, and the British Society of Nutritional Medicine. He is also on the Council of International and American Association of Clinical Nutritionists.
Dr. Colgan is the author of several best selling books and he has authored more than nine hundred popular articles.
Table of Contents
Table Of Contents
- Got Power
- Power Parts
- Power Posture
- Elastic Muscle
- Extend And Connect
- Stable Strength
- Power Cycle
- The Power Equation
- Train The Chain
- Free Movement
- Power Reps
- Essential Eccentrics
- Negatives Are King
- How Many Sets?
- How Many Exercises?
- Abdominals: The Power Core
- Shoulder Power
- Arm Power
- Back: Power Lift
- Chest: Power Push
- Legs: Power Base
- Steel Knees: Iron Calves
- The Vital Link
- Power Nutrition
- Program Your Mind
- The Whole Tamale
Appendix 1: Predict Your Max