#1 Amazon New Release ─ Surprising history of ordinary things
Learn the fascinating history and trivia you never knew about things we use daily from the host of The Story Behind podcast.
Everyday objects and major events in history: Every single thing that surrounds us has a story behind it. Many of us learn the history of humans and the major inventions that shaped our world. But what you may not have learned is the history of objects we surround ourselves with every day. You might not even know how the major events in history (World Wars, ancient civilizations, revolutions, etc.) influenced the inventions of things we use today.
The history and science behind the ordinary: From the creator of The Story Behind podcast comes this revelatory new book. The Story Behind will give insight into everyday objects we don’t think much about when we use them. Topics covered in the podcast will be examined in more detail along with many new fascinating topics. Learn how lollipops got started in Ancient Egypt, how podcasts were invented, and why Comic Sans was created. Learn the torture device origins of certain exercise equipment and the espionage beginnings of certain musical instruments. Ordinary things from science to art, food to sports, customs to fashion, and more are explored.
- Understand the wonders behind everyday objects
- Learn truly obscure history and fun facts that will change the way they see the world
- Learn how major historic events still affect us today through seemingly mundane things
- Become formidable trivia masters
Discover the fascinating story behind everything!
|Product dimensions:||5.00(w) x 6.80(h) x 0.70(d)|
About the Author
Table of ContentsSAMPLE ENTRIES (plus much more!)
1. Peanut Butter - Used as a source of protein during World War II, and soldiers popularized it when they came back from the war. 2. The Treadmill - Originally used for prisoners to generate energy and as a form of punishment, and now we pay money to use them. 3. The Lollipop - Started with ancient Egyptians eating honey on sticks. 4. The Lead Pipe (from The Clue Series in which every episode in the series was based on one of the six original weapons of the game Clue) - Even in ancient times, people were aware of the dangers of lead. 5. Podcasts - The controversy surrounding who actually invented them and/or the technology needed for them. 6. Comic Sans - Originally designed to be used in a learning computer game, now used on school fliers, to the chagrin of graphic designers everywhere. 7. The Theremin - The creepy instrument popularized in sci-fi movies was actually brought over to America from Russia as part of a spy mission.
8. Lullabies - How lullabies are used in different civilizations and how certain beat patterns are used in lullabies to mimic rocking. 9. Mad Hatters - Even though they aren’t around anymore because we now know the dangers of mercury, find out why we say the phrase “mad as a hatter,” and who Lewis Carroll’s character was supposedly based on. 10.Gunpowder - Originally invented by alchemists looking to create gold, used as fireworks, then as a powerful weapon, and part of a plot in England by Guy Fawkes to blow up Parliament in 1605.
What People are Saying About This
"There's something so fascinating about looking into the history and stories behind the everyday, mundane, and ordinary. Emily's book will perfectly scratch the itch of curiosity you have for thing you see everyday!"
- Patrick Foote, Author of The Origin of Names, Words and Everything in Between
Emily Prokop’s The Story Behind takes a holistic look at American and world culture through the everyday items we take for granted. It is in this perspective that we’ll grow to wonder about the other items that surround us on a daily basis, and what fantastic and controversial stories are hidden within them. The Story Behind is a spark of curiosity that will burn long after you’ve turned the final page.
-Josh Hallmark, Host & Producer of Our Americana podcast
"Packed full of information you didn't know you wanted to know, Emily's book will make you look at the ordinary objects that surround you in a completely different way." Mark Des Cotes, Host of the Resourceful Designer podcast
"Emily magically weaves a vibrant history of simple every day objects we often take for granted. The Story Behind will surprise and delight, encouraging you to give everything a second look." - Deana Marie, Creator & Host of the Twisted Philly podcast