What’s the single most important thing you can do to make sure you enjoy a worry-free retirement?
It’s simple. Hire an expert to manage your money for you.
But not just any expert.
In The Worry-Free Retirement Guide to Finding a Trustworthy Financial Advisor you’ll discover:
- The three essential qualities you need in a trustworthy advisor.
- What a good financial advisor can and should do for you.
- The key questions you should ask an advisor before you hire her—including three questions that will eliminate 90% of all candidates.
- The difference between investing after retirement and investing to accumulate wealth. (It’s not just about managing risk.)
- Why it’s critical to find an advisor who understands the unique concerns of a retiree.
- How you can tell if an advisor will make taking care of your best interest his top priority. (Find out by asking just one question!)
You deserve to live your golden years with passion and purpose, free from worries about money. This book is packed with insider secrets that will let you hire an advisor to make your worry-free retirement a dream come true. It just might be the single most important investment you’ll ever make.
About the Author
In 1990 Randy founded his firm, Financial Planning Company of Oklahoma, which in 1997 merged with Retirement Investment Advisors, Inc. He continues today as Chief Executive Officer. Under his leadership the firm has become one of the largest fee-only investment advisory firms in Oklahoma in which all advisors are CFP® professionals.
As a result of more than thirty years of dedication and commitment to excellence in financial planning, Randy is frequently lauded as one of the nation's most trusted investment advisors. As of this writing, he and his firm have been cited 38 times in national publications as among the best in the country. Accolades include:
• six times on Worth magazine's annual list of Top Financial Advisors in the country,
• six times on Medical Economics' list of Best Financial Advisors,
• seven times in Bloomberg Wealth Manager Magazine,
• four times in Financial Times,
• three times in Financial Advisor Magazine,
• twice in Best of the U.S. (web based),
• twice in J.K. Lasser's books on estate planning.
Randy has also been recognized on a local level for excellence and leadership , including:
• 2010 Oklahoma Business Ethics Compass Award,
• 2012 Oklahoma Society of CPAs award for Outstanding CPA in Financial Planning,
• 2013 The Journal Record Beacon Award, Charitable Influence - Small Business.
Over the years, Randy has shared his expertise and insight as the author of five books and an extensive list of articles on financial planning, investing, and business ethics. His book The All-Weather Retirement Portfolio: Your post-retirement guide to a worry-free income for life provides time-tested guidance for financial peace of mind, while One More Step: The 638 Best Quotes for the Runner inspires runners and others to realize their goals. His articles have appeared in CPAFocus, Medical Economics Magazine, NW Style Magazine, 405 Magazine, Metro Journal, The Oklahoman, and others. He is much sought after as a speaker for conferences, workshops, and broadcast media, including appearances on Fox News Network's Fox on Money and as the former host of the weekly radio program Money Talks.
Randy is also active as a volunteer in his community, and in 2005 received the Oklahoma Society of CPAs' Public Service Award. He is a member of the South Oklahoma City Rotary Club and sits on the boards, or is a trustee, of seven nonprofit organizations, including the Oklahoma State University Board of Governors, the YMCA of Greater Oklahoma City, the Oklahoma City Community College Foundation, and the Oklahoma City Employee Retirement System.
Most importantly, Randy is a family man who treasures time with his wife and son. He's an active member of his church community and an enthusiastic reader, writer, and runner.
For more information about Randy L. Thurman's work, and to contact him, visit his website at www.RandyThurman.com.
Table of Contents
Part I: Your Key to a Worry-Free Retirement
Chapter One. Now that You’re Retired, Do You Need a Financial Advisor?
Chapter Two. The Three Essential Qualities of an Outstanding Financial Advisor
Chapter Three. The Retirement Investment Advisor—a True Specialist
Chapter Four. Five Steps to Find a Financial Advisor You Can Trust
Part II: The Five-Step Process
Step 1. Create a List of Candidates
Step 2. Refine Your List with a Phone Interview
Step 3. Meet the Top Candidates
Step 4. Review a Portfolio
Step 5. Hire Your Outstanding, Trustworthy Financial Advisor
A Final Word: Balance
Appendix: Recommended Reading List
About the Author