THE ONLY THING BELIEVABLE ABOUT TONY CONIGLIARO’S STORY IS THAT IT HAPPENED.
TONY C, by Boston sportswriter David Cataneo, takes readers through the soaring heights and desperate lows of the iconic Red Sox player—from the "Ted Williams confidence" of his early years and heart-throbbing, record-breaking stardom, to the desperation, comebacks, and final ordeal.
Conigliaro’s wild, off-the field life is also covered in depth – from his playboy adventures and pop star fame, to his confrontations with Carl Yastrzemski and Dick Williams, and failed attempt to make it as a pitcher. The complicated personality of one Boston’s greatest baseball icons is revealed—the mix of brashness and insecurity—the intense nature and deep pride that were challenged to levels few are ever forced to endure.
How different things could have been for Tony C, for his family, for the Red Sox Nation, had he not been in the box that fateful night in August, 1967, had his cheekbone not been shattered, and with it, his dreams, his career, and ultimately his life. But there he stood, and there he fell, and the story of the devastation from that pitch is one of the most dramatic and tragic in the annals of sport.
Related collections and offers
|Publisher:||Summer Game Books|
|Product dimensions:||6.00(w) x 8.90(h) x 0.70(d)|
About the Author
Author David Cataneo was a long-time sports writer for one of Boston's leading newspapers, The Boston Herald. He is a native New Yorker and a magna cum laude graduate of Boston University's School of Public Communication who worked for 22 years for the Boston Globe and Boston Herald as a reporter, columnist, and editor. He is the author of five non-fiction books. He is currently teaching at the University of New Hampshire and lives in Durham, NH, with his family.
Table of ContentsAcknowledgments ix
1. BAD NEWS ON THE DOORSTEP 4
2. THAT TED WILLIAMS KIND OF CONFIDENCE 12
3. MISTER CONIGLIARO 22
4. THE ONLY GIRL IN THE WORLD 36
5. THE ROAD TO WELLSVILLE 50
6. A ROOKIE WHO HUGGED THE PLATE 63
7. YOUNG, HANDSOME, AND FAMOUS 76
8. SISTER ERNESTINA WITH A CREW CUT 97
9. A DEAFENING SOUND, A SICKENING SOUND 111
10. HEY, TONY, HOW'S THE EYE? 131
11. HE WASN'T A TERRIBLE PITCHER 147
12. THE POOR KID COULDN'T SEE 160
13. NOT AS PERFECT AS BEFORE 174
14. THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP OF KARATE 185
15. SHOCKED BY THE TRADE 200
16. OLD FRIENDS WERE EVERYWHERE 217
17. A PART OF THE FAMILY 235
18. TIME TO GO HOME 248