12.99 In Stock
A fill-in book from the San Francisco Writers’ Grotto, authors of the best-selling 642 Things series Focus on a single aspect of the craft of writing with help from the San Francisco Writers’ Grotto. Writing Sci-Fi and Fantasy starts with a foreword by author Dorothy Hearst, who offers pointers for writing speculative fiction and inventing fantastic new worlds. The rest of the book consists of prompts and space to write, providing opportunities to consider the rules that govern your imagined universe. Among other ideas, you’ll explore the various aspects of world-building by:
- writing a timeline of the history of your imagined place
- describing what the inhabitants of your world look like
- detailing transportation from city to city or planet to planet
- figuring out who’s in charge and whether or not they should be
- Paperback with textured cover stock, flaps, and a lay-flat binding
- Advice from a published writer, followed by fill-in prompts and space to write
- Part of the Lit Start series, a collection of single-subject writing prompt books by the San Francisco Writers’ Grotto
Related collections and offers
About the Author
The San Francisco Writers’ Grotto is a community of writers that was founded in 1994. It now has more than 100 members who share workspace and teach classes in downtown San Francisco.
Dorothy Hearst is the author of the Wolf Chronicles trilogy, an Indie Next pick, and coauthor of the At the Heels of History chapter book series.