Cooking as Fast as I Can: A Chef's Story of Family, Food, and Forgiveness

Cooking as Fast as I Can: A Chef's Story of Family, Food, and Forgiveness

by Cat Cora


$15.30 $17.00 Save 10% Current price is $15.3, Original price is $17. You Save 10%.
View All Available Formats & Editions
Choose Expedited Shipping at checkout for guaranteed delivery by Monday, November 19

Product Details

ISBN-13: 9781476766157
Publisher: Scribner
Publication date: 07/19/2016
Pages: 272
Sales rank: 789,789
Product dimensions: 5.50(w) x 8.37(h) x 0.70(d)

About the Author

Cat Cora grew up in Jackson, Mississippi, and attended the Culinary Institute of America and worked in New York City before travelling overseas to apprentice in Europe with world-renowned French chefs Georges Blanc and Roger Vergé. She settled in Napa Valley in her first job as a chef. After The Food Network discovered her in 1999, she went on to become the first female Iron Chef for the Network. She is the founder of the charitable organization Chefs for Humanity, a grassroots organization that mobilizes chefs to lend their skills to communities in need, and she has built a brand that includes two food lines, cookware a shoe line, cookbooks and restaurants, in Orlando, Costa Mesa, Houston, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, Atlanta, and Singapore. She lives in Santa Barbara.

Read an Excerpt

Cooking as Fast as I Can

  • I spent the first week of my life at the Mississippi Children’s Home, waiting to be adopted. My name then was Melanie. The word means dark in Greek, and referred to my brown hair, my deep brown eyes.

    My birth mother was sixteen when she got pregnant with me. It was 1967. Whatever free-love thing was happening in other parts of the country in the late sixties, it was not happening in Greenwood, Mississippi. A girl who got knocked up there brought shame upon herself and her family.

    When she began to show, my birth mother was sent to a home for unwed mothers on the outskirts of New Orleans, where the girls scrubbed the floors and toilets with toothbrushes, penance for believing boys who said it would be okay. She was the youngest mother-to-be in the home, and on the weekends she was thrilled to be invited to go into town with her older friends, young women in their early twenties, also inconveniently pregnant. They would leave her at a cafe with their purses while they went out and turned a few tricks.

    The day she went into labor, my birth mother was sent to the hospital. All the rooms were full, so she was left on a gurney in the hallway. A midwife happened past and took pity on her and wrapped her in a blanket, the tradition at the time. First babies are notoriously slow to make an appearance—not me. Less than a minute later my birth mother hollered, “The baby! The baby’s on the bed.” The nurse, a soft-spoken African American woman, cried, “Holy shit, that baby done flown out.” Or so the story goes. But sure enough, there I was, between my mother’s knees, still tied by my umbilical cord, screaming my head off. I wasn’t waiting until my birth mother had been settled in her room, wasn’t waiting for the doctor to arrive, wasn’t waiting to be invited.

    Two hours away, in Jackson, the state capital, Virginia Lee and Spiro Cora received a phone call from an adoption agency where they’d filed papers to adopt another child. They were an upstanding middle-class couple—she a nurse, he a teacher—who had already adopted a son, Michael, and were hoping for a daughter. “We have a baby girl for you,” said the woman from the adoption agency.

    A week later, the people who would become my parents picked me up at the Children’s Home and changed my name to Catherine Anne.

    My childhood was as perfect as could be.

    We lived on Swan Lake Drive in Jackson, in a development of low-slung, single-story homes built around finger-shaped Swan Lake. Our little house was across the street from the waterfront homes; our backyard gave out into what seemed to be endless fairy-tale piney woods—a true wilderness. There my brothers and I built forts and cut down a Charlie Brown tree every Christmas, then dragged it through the backyard and into the living room. Mike was three years older than me, and Chris, born not long after my adoption was finalized, was only thirteen months younger.

    I had my first kiss in these woods at the age of eight. She was a small blond girl with a pixie haircut who was visiting her grandparents for the summer. One of us thought it would be a rad idea to experiment with kissing. Her soft mouth tasted of Aim toothpaste with a hint of Orange Crush soda and the Green Apple Jolly Rancher candies we’d sucked on earlier. It was definitely better than kissing second-grader Johnny Purvis.

    My mom and dad both worked full-time, but if there were better-loved latchkey kids, I’d like to meet them. At 6:00 a.m., Mom would flip on my bedroom light and say, “Time to get up!” Despite her own hectic morning schedule, she always packed our lunches. Hot school lunches were too expensive, yet my parents made too much to qualify for assistance. Peanut butter and jelly, egg salad, and bologna were the sandwiches in rotation. Sometimes if she ran out of peanut butter and payday was too far away, she substituted mayonnaise and jelly, the thought of which grosses me out even now. In those days, no one in the Deep South—even a trained nurse—thought keeping a sandwich made with mayonnaise in a metal school locker for six hours was a bad idea. But my brothers and I were well acquainted with the stink it caused, and would toss those sandwiches into the garbage next to the bus stop. (It was six houses down, a distance my mom felt confident we could negotiate by ourselves.) Unless we were lucky enough to have a PB&J sandwich that day, we made do with a bag of Fritos, a Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Sandwich, and an apple.

    Our dad taught world history at Wingfield High School, and he came home every day around four thirty. This gave us a good ninety minutes every afternoon to get into trouble, because once he got home, he would keep an eye on us by planting himself in his La-Z-Boy recliner, in his undershirt and slacks, reheating a cup of morning coffee and reading the paper until Mom got home. He didn’t believe in interfering, but he wouldn’t let us think we were unsupervised.

    First thing after we got home, we’d dump our book bags onto the floor by the door. We either made ourselves a redneck grilled cheese—white bread topped with “green can” Parmesan melted in the toaster oven—or else we’d turn on the FryDaddy and make ourselves some french fries. I can’t imagine letting unsupervised grade-school kids loose around hot cooking oil, but back then in Mississippi, kids were raised to take care of themselves.

    Mike always had a dumb stunt or two up his sleeve. I displayed my adoration for him by being his willing partner in crime. Once he showed me the art of smoking grocery bags. We sat on the porch, and he ripped a brown paper grocery bag into neat strips, then rolled them into perfect, tight little “cigarettes.” We lit up and I sucked on mine until I barfed all over the front porch.

    A few years later, when I was about ten, he convinced me to try dipping snuff. He was already a confirmed Skoal dipper, and his suggestion tapped right into that part of my personality that believes if it’s wrong, there’s got to be a part of it that feels really right. I took his challenge and shoved some dip between my cheek and gums. I thought I was a tough titty until the trees started spinning. That was my first genuine buzz. It sure wouldn’t be my last.

    If the weather was fine, we often enjoyed a little water-skiing on the lake, off the back of Mike’s flat-bottomed jon boat. The vessel was built for fishing and poking around the shallows, but we were undeterred. We were eager to perfect our stunts.

    If we saw some mom standing on her back porch with her hands cupped around her mouth shouting some version of “You Cora kids, get out of that boat and go on home,” we knew her next step would be calling our mom and telling her, “Your damn kids were out there skiing and left a wake that washed up and soaked my backyard.” So Mike would cut the engine immediately and we would float over and apologize—yes, ma’am, and no, ma’am—hoping the mom wouldn’t make that call. Even though Mike went on to become a minor criminal and confidence man, he was polite as pie when it came to accepting a dressing-down from the neighbors.

    Even though we were allowed to fend for ourselves for a few hours after school, in the summer my mom didn’t feel comfortable leaving us alone for an entire day. In addition to her nursing job, she sometimes worked as a home aide, and she would drag us around on her rounds. We were told to stay in the car while she went in and checked on her patient. It was as hot as Hades in Mississippi in the summer. We rolled down all the windows and waited dutifully, but thought it would serve our mom right if while she was nursing someone else her children died of heatstroke.

    Our favorite stop was Mr. George, a sweet old Greek guy who always offered us cookies. He made his own apricot wine, thick enough to stand a spoon up in, which our mom graciously accepted as her payment. When we came over, he invited us to pick figs as big as baseballs off the tree in his backyard. One of us would climb up, pick them, and gently toss them into the waiting hands of the two on the ground so as not to split or bruise them. We ate until we had stomachaches, the juice pouring out of the fleshy red center onto our chins.

    I don’t think I’d lose a bet that my parents were among the most liberal in all of Jackson. In the 1960s, while they were still footloose young marrieds, they rented a ground-floor apartment on a steep little street close to the stadium. My dad was pursuing his degree in history at Mississippi College, while my mom worked at Mississippi State Hospital, nursing supervisor of the Colored Male Service, dedicated to caring for the black male mental patients. Like all southerners, they enjoyed their get-togethers, and were among the only people in their set to invite African American friends to their parties. This was still intensely frowned upon in Mississippi; they had to sneak their black friends into the house in the dark of night, which itself was dangerous. To welcome them into their home was to risk having their house burned to the ground, or worse.

    Thus, they got along with all our neighbors on Swan Lake Drive: the Southern Baptist evangelical family, the Yankee family, the black family, and across the street, the bachelors—Dalton and Millard—the gay family.

    My mom was terribly fond of Dalton and Millard. She knew they were a gay couple, although she never said so outright. When Millard would try to offer her the occasional decorating tip—no one was less interested in decorating than Virginia Lee—he would beg her to listen, saying, “I’m the queen.” She would scoff and say, “You most certainly are not. I’m the queen.” Then he’d say, “No, honey, you really don’t have any idea what you’re talking about. I am the true queen of Swan Lake Drive.”

    In her capacity as psychiatric nurse who also taught and also picked up extra work as a home health nurse, my mom knew a number of people who had nowhere to go during the holidays, and come November 1 she’d roll up her sleeves and start issuing invitations. On Thanksgiving Day, every type of human you can imagine appeared on our doorstep. Taxis brought people who arrived in their Sunday best, their wheelchairs stowed in the trunk. Some folks came on foot, having been dropped off on the corner of Lakeshore Drive by a driver going in the same direction. We had every color, creed, and sexual orientation, in addition to a lot of garden-variety lunatics. “They all bleed red,” my mother would say.

    My dad was a smidge less tolerant. He was welcoming, but a traditionalist at heart. He had his limits. One year, our friend George, a schizophrenic with some other mental issues that required some delicate alchemy of medicating, lined all the kids up on the couch and entertained us with his impersonation of Erica Kane from the soap opera All My Children. I was completely transfixed. My dad was less enthused and the following year he kept a careful eye on George and his theatrics.

    One of my best friends in the neighborhood was Helene Gregorich, three doors down. Her family came from the North, Ohio or somewhere, and was of some sort of Eastern European extraction. Her mom, Mrs. Gregorich, made the most excellent Hungarian goulash, and I used to hang around moon-eyed, hoping she would ask me to dinner. This was not an easy task, since she worked the graveyard shift at the GMC plant on the line assembling car parts. We had to tiptoe around after school until she woke up and started dinner.

    The Gregoriches had an in-ground swimming pool, which made them seem incredibly glamorous and rich. In the merciless heat of summer, hanging around for Mrs. Gregorich’s goulash would be replaced by hanging around hoping to be invited to go swimming. Their impressive affluence knew no bounds: Helene had the best Easter candy on the block. My mom splurged for hollow chocolate bunnies from Walgreens for my brothers and me, but the Gregorich children received enormous packages of rich chocolate from their European relatives.

    Mr. Gregorich was the coach for the softball club I joined in fifth grade. I went on to play for seven years. Catcher and center field were my positions. I had good hand-eye coordination and an ability to hurl the ball at the perfect moment to make an out. I was tapped for the all-star team year after year. The trophies still sit on top of my dresser on Swan Lake Drive, gathering dust. But damn if I don’t love showing them off to my kids when we come to visit.

    Come the end of May every year, my dad would hook up his boat—a snazzy Larson Shark—to the back of the station wagon and we’d take off for the Pearl River. His favorite spot was Ratliff Ferry, off the Natchez Trace. We camped on Flag Island, a sandbar, actually, with beaches as beautiful and white as any you’d find in the Caribbean. We slept in a canvas tent big enough to fit the five of us and all our gear. In the mornings my parents would percolate some coffee over the campfire, and we’d sit and watch the alligators cruise past, the heat already thick and approaching unbearable. No kitchen I’ve ever slaved in was as hot as summer in Mississippi. After coffee, my parents would hop into the boat, and my dad would drive my mom back to her car so she could go to work; in the evenings he’d pick her up and bring her back to camp.

    We kids spent the day swimming and water-skiing. I was as brown as a nut. My dad would sit in his lawn chair and read his Louis L’Amour and Jean Auel. For lunch, he would make us bologna sandwiches, served with a handful of Lay’s chips. Some years the cicadas would have emerged earlier in the season, and we would entertain ourselves picking their skeletons out of low-hanging branches.

    At night, like dummies, my brothers and I would grab a flashlight, hop into Mike’s old jon boat, and cruise across the river to what we called “alligator swamp.” Summer is alligator mating season, and our goal was to catch them in the act. We never got far; two sets of red eyes glaring at us in the dark were enough to send us scuttling back to our camp.

    My childhood was as perfect as could be, but for one thing, and that one thing was monstrous. It would divide my life neatly into before and after, assuring the life I knew would never be the same again.

    I cannot bear to say his name, and think of him to this day as Asshole. AH was nine years older than me. He lived not far from Texarkana, and my parents would visit his parents for a week once or twice every year. It was a five-hour drive, east across the top of the boot of Louisiana. The high point of the trip was always a stop at KFC. My parents, who forbade fast food at home, swooned upon opening those little red-and-white-striped boxes holding the hot, crispy chicken, warm container of mashed potatoes, buttered corn on the cob, and fluffy biscuit. I tried to appreciate the feast along with the rest of my family, but dreaded what might be coming once we reached our destination. I dabbed at the mashed potatoes with the end of my spoon, licked the butter off the corn on the cob, but couldn’t bring myself to bite into it. I was too busy trying to hold back tears. I couldn’t eat, hadn’t slept the night before, and was terrified about what I knew was to come.

    It began when AH was fifteen and I was six. It might not happen on the first day of our visit, nor the second. He would watch and wait, and when I went to the bathroom, or back into one of the bedrooms to change into my swimsuit, he would follow me and close the door behind us. I was small for my age; he was practically a grown man. He was in ROTC at school and liked people to think he was smart.

    He would make me sit on his lap, groping and fondling me, touching me where I did not want to be touched, forcing me to touch him. All the rest of it is too horrible to put into words, even now, all these years later.

    After AH finished, he would threaten me. “If you tell your parents, they’re going to hate you. They’re going to stop loving you and think you’re cheap trash.” I believed him. I didn’t have anyone to talk to or anyone to help me stop it.

    One afternoon, when I was perhaps ten or eleven and he was already out of high school, he cornered me in the bathroom and pushed me into the shower, one of those stall types, slightly bigger than an old-fashioned phone booth. He undid his pants and then unzipped mine. I felt the cold tile against my back through my OshKosh B’Gosh outfit, closed my eyes, willing myself to be in another place, when suddenly I heard the bathroom door open. There stood my father.

    My father was a gentle man who rarely raised his voice. Still, he was six feet tall, and he was my father. I expected him to march in, pull AH out of that shower by his collar, drag him out into the living room, and beat the living shit out of him. Instead, he stood there with his hand on the knob, looking stunned, and to my horror . . . disgusted. It was just a moment, but it dragged on for an eternity. I’ll never forget it. And then he turned and left me alone in the room with AH.

    I’d always been Daddy’s girl. The pain of being abused was nothing compared to seeing the look in my father’s eyes that day. It would haunt me for years.

    I knew instantly and intuitively that even though my father had broken my heart by failing to protect me, it was over; AH had been found out. His dad was a tough and sometimes mean man, and when my dad told his dad what he’d seen, AH would get the beating of his life.

    I blasted out of that shower, out of that bathroom, and ran down the hall to the back bedroom. My little suitcase was lying on the floor, and my first thought was that I should put on my swimsuit and run down the street to the home of a friend I’d made in the neighborhood, Scott. His family had a swimming pool. It was ruinously hot in the summer in east Texas, and I hadn’t stopped to put on my shoes. My feet burned on the pavement. I could hear the cries and splashing of kids in the pool before I let myself in through the back gate. After a while AH had the audacity to show up and join the swim party, acting as if nothing had happened. I didn’t speak to him, I didn’t look at him, I didn’t talk to him.

    Eventually the sun slid behind the trees and all the kids were called in to dinner. Scott let me borrow a towel. I wrapped it around myself and scampered back to AH’s house. My mom waited for me on the front porch. She had probably been standing there for a good hour. As I ran up, she knelt down and opened her arms, which pitched me into immediate and full-blown hysteria. I sobbed until I thought I would throw up. My father obviously had told my mother what he’d witnessed and asked her to deal with it, and as a nurse practitioner specializing in psychiatric disorders she was not unfamiliar with this kind of thing. She was calm and nurturing. She rubbed my back and kept asking what happened. To save myself, to protect myself and my sanity, I said, “It only happened once, Mommy. This was the only time.”

    Which was a lie. It had happened many times.

    The truth would come out, but not for thirty-five years, six months before my dad passed away. As betrayed as I felt that day, I could never be truly angry at him. He was and would always be my hero. Decades later I would find out what a part of me had always suspected, that he simply couldn’t handle what he had seen. He wasn’t disgusted by me, as I had always thought, but rather shocked, confused, and embarrassed. Perhaps AH and I were playing doctor or experimenting. It was the seventies. Who knew what kids were up to then? Parents weren’t involved in their kids’ lives the way we are now. They lacked information. They lacked the tools of communication. But finally I would hear the words that gave me the strength to begin to heal: “Cathy, I wish I had protected you. I’m so sorry, baby.”

    But that day, I felt utterly alone. After my mom tried to soothe it away, I walked through the screen door, through the living room, in my bathing suit, clutching the towel around me, the soles of my feet burned. As I passed, the adults just said, “Hey,” as if it were any lazy summer afternoon.

    When I examine what drives me, this childhood trauma floats to the surface. I’ve learned that while I’m blessed with people in my life whom I love and who love me, I walk through this world alone, that I’m the only one responsible for taking care of myself. On that day so long ago, this thought began to take form: my parents can’t protect me, my brothers can’t protect me, and my friends can’t, either. I put on my own armor.

    I refuse to give AH any credit for the good things in my life. But one of the reasons I am able to be fearless, to work hard and stay determined over weeks, months, and years, is my refusal to be done in by shame and guilt. After it was behind me, in the weeks and months that followed the day my dad stumbled into that room and stopped it, an attitude rose up in me: “Just watch what I’m going to do now.”

  • Reading Group Guide

    This reading group guide for Cooking as Fast as I Can includes an introduction, discussion questions, and ideas for enhancing your book club. We hope these questions will enrich your reading group’s conversation and increase your enjoyment of the book.


    Cooking as Fast as I Can is the poignant, intimate portrait of celebrity chef Cat Cora’s rise to culinary fame. Cora’s story is one of passion and resilience. Petite in her tall adopted family, gay in the closeted South, an American in Michelin-starred French restaurants, a southerner in New York City kitchens, a woman in the cutthroat, macho culinary world, and the first female Iron Chef, Cora refused to be defined as an outsider. She forged her career through struggle and hard work. She writes with tenderness about the meals that shaped her memories and about finding courage and redemption in the dark truths of her past—and learning how to forgive. Ultimately, Cora found solace in the kitchen and in work, and her passion for cooking has helped her find happiness as a chef, a wife, and a mother of four boys.

    Topics & Questions for Discussion

    1. Consider the opening quote from Mark Twain: “Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.” How is this a fitting epigraph for the book? How does Cora grapple with forgiveness as an adult? Does the violence of the word “crushed” strike an appropriate emotional chord?

    2. Cora opens the book with the powerful line “I spent the first week of my life at the Mississippi Children’s Home, waiting to be adopted” (p. 1). How does the theme of adoption, as an act of taking on something new or different, resonate throughout the book?

    3. Cora’s earliest memories are strongly tied to the meals, foods, and flavors. Consider the interplay between sense and memory in your own life. Are your earliest memories informed most by taste, smell, sight, sound, or touch?

    4. Cora describes the experience of sexual abuse as one that divided her life “neatly into before and after” (p. 9). In what ways did Cora’s early childhood trauma affect her coming-of-age? In what ways did she refuse to let it define her?

    5. As a child, Cora was strongly influenced by both her Greek heritage and her southern upbringing. Later those two influences would inform her unique style of cooking. How can our cultural inheritance shape our careers? Our creative aspirations? To what degree is our coming-of-age a process of assimilating and rejecting the traditions of our parents?

    6. Were you surprised by Cora’s family’s reaction to her coming out? How did their support affect her self-perception?

    7. The coming-out process for Cora happened in a relatively inhospitable climate. How has our country’s perception of homosexuality and same-sex relationships evolved since Cora was a teen?

    8. What did you make of Cora’s bodybuilding pursuit? Did it feel like a natural extension of her personality? Was she seeking out a community? A safe outlet to channel her sexuality?

    9. Consider Cora’s up-and-down relationship with Hannah. How did that relationship compare to her eventual relationship with her wife, Jennifer? What is universal about the evolution of Cora’s relationships?

    10. “I worshipped Julia Child,” Cora writes on page 79. How are the two celebrity chefs similar?

    11. Inspired by her encounter with Julia Child, Cora applies to the Culinary Institute. Did you perceive this decision as a risk? Think about a “sink-or-swim” moment in your own life. What emotions were guiding you?

    12. Compare Cora’s journey to those of other women who broke through the glass ceiling. What traits do these women share? How is Cora’s journey unique?

    13. How does Cora both inhabit and shatter the mold of “celebrity chef”? How has your perception of her changed now that you’re familiar with her story?

    14. What part of Cora’s story did you find the most inspiring?

    Enhance Your Book Club

    Try Cat Cora’s favorite appetizer and drink recipes to make your next book club more delicious.

    Bruschetta with Three Toppings


    1 baguette (cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices)

    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (plus extra to drizzle on the bread)

    1 garlic clove (cut in half)

    8 large ripe tomatoes

    20 fresh basil leaves

    2 tablespoons feta cheese (crumbled)

    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

    1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

    1/4 cup Kalamata olives (coarsely chopped)

    1 teaspoon fresh oregano (coarsely chopped)

    1/2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)

    7 ounces roasted sweet red pepper strips (drained and coarsely chopped)

    2 teaspoons capers (drained)

    1 teaspoon kosher salt

    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

    2 tablespoons Asiago cheese (shaved; more if desired)


    1. Bruschetta: To give the bread slices maximum flavor, toast them on the grill. Lightly brush both sides of each slice with olive oil and grill for a minute on each side. Use tongs to turn them, and make sure the bread doesn’t get too dark. (You can also toast them in the oven. Preheat to 425ºF and brush the slices with olive oil. Arrange the slices on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, turning once, until crisp and light brown.)

    2. When the slices are golden brown, hold each warm slice (protecting your fingers with a clean dish towel) and rub the cut side of the garlic clove completely over the bread, front and back. The heat will “melt” the garlic, flavoring the bread perfectly. Top with any of the three toppings suggested below, or come up with your own.

    Tomato Basil Topping: Cut the tomatoes into small chunks. Cut the basil leaves into a chiffonade by stacking 4 to 5 leaves, rolling them like a cigar, and then cutting them into fine strips. This will give you small, fine ribbons of basil. Spoon a good helping of tomatoes onto the bruschetta. (Don’t be stingy.) Sprinkle generously with basil chiffonade. Add a light pinch of salt and drizzle with olive oil. Serve immediately.

    Kalamata Olive and Feta Cheese Topping: Combine feta cheese, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, red pepper flakes, olives, oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon olive oil in a small bowl. I like to spread the mixture in a thin coating on the bread, but you can add as much as you like. You can use it as a base and add whatever else you like: chunks of fresh tomato, cucumber cubes, or sautéed mushrooms.

    Sweet Peppers with Asiago Cheese Topping: In a small bowl, combine sweet red pepper strips, capers, 3 tablespoons fresh basil, balsamic vinegar, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, and 2 tablespoons Asiago cheese. Spread on bruschetta. Sprinkle each bruschetta with a few shavings of cheese.

    Greek-Style Nachos


    1/2 cup roasted red peppers

    1 teaspoon garlic (minced)

    1 pinch kosher salt

    1 1/2 teaspoon fresh oregano (minced)

    1 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil

    12 ounces pita chips

    2 cups pepper jack cheese (shredded)

    8 ounces mild feta cheese (crumbled)

    1/2 cup green Greek olives (pitted and sliced)

    1/4 cup Kalamata olives (pitted and sliced)

    1/2 cup cherry tomatoes (quartered)

    1/2 cup nonfat Greek-style yogurt


    1. Roasted Red Pepper Salsa: Medium-dice the red peppers and mix in a bowl with the garlic, salt, and oregano. Stir in the olive oil. Taste; add more salt if necessary. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.

    2. Nachos: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Take the roasted red pepper salsa out of the fridge and set it aside. Spread the pita chips in a single layer on a baking sheet or a large heatproof platter. Sprinkle both cheeses evenly over the chips. Bake the chips until the cheese is just melted, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove the chips from the oven and scatter olives and cherry tomato quarters over the top. Spoon some of the roasted red pepper salsa on the nachos and then dab on small dollops of Greek yogurt. Place the remaining salsa into a bowl, and serve the nachos right away with the remaining salsa on the side for folks to dip.

    Twist It: Make the salsa into a smooth, creamy sauce in your food processor. Just add the roasted red peppers, garlic, salt, and oregano to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until ingredients are pureed. You don’t need to mince the garlic and oregano; just chop them roughly and let the processor do the work. (If your food processor is larger than a 1-quart model, you may need to double the salsa recipe; serve any leftover salsa with eggs the next day.) With the motor running, pour in the olive oil until the mixture is completely smooth. Scrape the purée into a small bowl and mix in the yogurt until blended. Taste and add more salt if necessary. This gives you a creamy, bright-red sauce that’s a complete flavor blast. As soon as you pull the warm nachos from the oven, drizzle this sauce over the top in a lattice pattern.

    Kota Kapama (Chicken Stewed in Garlic and Cinnamon)


    1 chicken (2 1/2–3 pounds, cut into 8 serving pieces)

    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

    2 teaspoons kosher salt

    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

    5 cloves garlic

    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

    4 cups yellow onions (coarsely chopped)

    1/2 cup dry white wine

    2 cups water

    1/2 cup mizithra cheese (grated)

    1 6-ounce can tomato paste


    1. Pat the chicken pieces dry with paper towels so they don’t spatter in the pan. Mix the cinnamon, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl and rub the chicken pieces on all sides with the mixture. Mince three of the garlic cloves and set aside.

    2. Heat the olive oil in a large, deep, nonaluminum skillet over high heat. A 12-inch skillet with sides about 3 inches high will allow you to brown all the chicken pieces at once. If you don’t have a large-enough skillet, brown the chicken in two batches, using 1 tablespoon of oil for each batch. Don’t crowd the pieces in the pan or the chicken will steam rather than brown.

    3. Add the chicken to the skillet and brown for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, shifting the pieces with a metal spatula so they don’t stick to the skillet. When the pieces are nicely browned on all sides, remove from the pan and set aside.

    4. Reduce the heat to medium-high and add the onions and minced garlic. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the onions have softened and are a rich golden brown. Add the wine and scrape the bottom of the pan with a spatula or spoon to deglaze, loosening any browned bits.

    5. When the wine has evaporated, add the water, tomato paste, and remaining two whole garlic cloves. Return the chicken to the pan. The liquid should cover about three-quarters of the chicken. Reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet with a lid, and simmer for about 1 hour, or until the chicken is tender and thoroughly cooked. (If the sauce becomes too thick, thin it with a little more water.) Taste and adjust the seasoning.

    I like to serve this with my family’s homemade buttered noodles, but it’s also great over rice, orzo, or macaroni. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top of each serving.

    Ouzo Pomegranate Martini


    4 ounces pomegranate juice

    4 ounces pineapple juice

    2 ounces ouzo

    2 ounces vodka

    1 teaspoon fresh lime juice


    2 lime slices, for garnish


    1. In a martini shaker, combine all ingredients with 1/2 cup of ice. Shake well and strain into two chilled martini glasses rimmed with sugar. Garnish each glass with a lime wedge.

    Customer Reviews

    Most Helpful Customer Reviews

    See All Customer Reviews

    Cooking As Fast As I Can: A Chef's Story of Family, Food, and Forgiveness 5 out of 5 based on 0 ratings. 1 reviews.
    Anonymous More than 1 year ago
    ((This story takes place in between Revenge of the Sith and Rogue One.)) <p> "Where are they?" Came the muffled voice of a stormtrooper, BD-4189. Two squadrons were sent out to find a couple of rebels in the Jepper system. The groups split up to different planets in the system. The first squadron had spotted the rogues on Gharned-Kiey, an uninhabited planet in the Jepper system. <p> BD-4189 activated her comm. "The rebels were spotted heading west on Gharned-Kiey or Jepper 3. I am sending coordinates now." <p> "Good job, Commander. Expect a promotion when the job is done." Replied an officer on the /Destruction/, a high class Imperial star destroyer. <p> The stormtrooper beamed underneath her helmet. "Yes, sir. Keep moving troopers!" <p> -------------------- <p> "This way." Hyde whispered. He turned a corner of a large boulder. His sister, Geira, followed closely behind. They were running from the Empire as rebels after they had took out a supply port in the Hiero system. Although they knew they were being closely followed by stormtroopers on the planet. "Wait, wait, wait." Hyde put his arm in front of Geira to stop her. <p> "Yes, sir. Keep moving troopers!" He heard a commander stormtrooper right in front of their hiding place. Breathing hard, he grabbed his DH-17 from his holster and turned the safety off. As the last trooper passed, he moved out and started following them. When the time was right, he fired. <p> "It's the rebels!" The stormteoopers quickly took notice and returned fire. Hyde seemed to have been trained as he took out more stormtroopers at that time alone than the commander had killed in her lifetime. <p> Quickly, Hyde had eliminated all but the commander, who suddenly had him in a headlock with a knife at his neck, facing Geira, who was aiming her blaster at BD-4189. Geira was 6 years old and Hyde was 14 years. <p> "Put down the blaster, and I will let your brother go." Hyde shook his head. BD slightly cut his neck in response. <p> "Errrrg..." he moaned. He winked at his sister, telling her he had a plan. She nodded and lowered her weapon. <p> Then, BD dropped Hyde and immediately shot Geira in the stomach faster than Hyde could blink. "NOOO!!!" Hyde yelled. He scooted towards her, tears in his eyes. Geira's dying eyes stared at him and you could hear her slowing breathing. A single tear slowly made its way down her cheek before she died. Hyde set his head on her chest, suddenly filled with anger. He grabbed her weapon off the ground and started firing at BD. He was taking all of the commander's shots but his anger and hatred kept him alive as he fired four blasts at her heart. BD-4189 fell to the ground lifelessly. Hyde went over to her, so many holes in his body smoking from being shot. In his final moments, he looked over the commander's body, grabbed a knife from his belt and started to repeatedly stab the trooper. <p> ~Leopard