The reactions evoked by images of and stories about Brad Pitt are many and wide-ranging: while one person might swoon or exclaim, another rolls his eyes or groans. How a single figure provokes such strong, often opposing emotions is a puzzle, one elegantly explored and perhaps even solved by _Deconstructing Brad Pitt.
Co-editors Christopher Schaberg and Robert Bennett have shaped a book that is not simply a multifaceted analysis of Brad Pitt as an actor and as a celebrity, but which is also a personal inquiry into how we are drawn to, turbaned on, or otherwise piqued by Pitt's performances and personae. Written in accessible prose and culled from the expertise of scholars across different fields, _Deconstructing Brad Pitt lingers on this iconic actor and elucidates his powerful influence on contemporary culture.
The editors will be donating a portion of their royalties to Pitt's Make It Right foundation.
|Product dimensions:||4.90(w) x 7.70(h) x 0.90(d)|
About the Author
Christopher Schaberg is Associate Professor of English at Loyola University New Orleans, USA, and author of The Textual Life of Airports: Reading the Culture of Flight (2013).
Robert Bennett is Associate Professor of English at Montana State University-Bozeman, USA, and author of Deconstructing Post-WWII New York City: The Literature, Art, Jazz, and Architecture of an Emerging Global Capital (2003).
Table of Contents
FOREWORD Robert Bennett, Montana State University-Bozeman, USA
PREFACE Christopher Schaberg, Loyola University New Orleans, USA
1. Making Montana Ben Leubner, Montana State University-Bozeman, USA
2. Romantic Hero Elizabeth Abele, SUNY Nassau Community College, USA
3. On Crashing Christopher Schaberg, Loyola University New Orleans, USA
4. Suburban Rage Robert Bennett, Montana State University-Bozeman, USA
5. Abyss of Simulation Randy Laist, Goodwin College, USA
6. Brangelina Blend Michele White, Tulane University, USA
7. Art Muse Sarah Juliet Lauro, Clemson University, USA
8. Oedipus Cop Fran Pheasant-Kelly, University of Wolverhampton, UK
9. Anger of Achilles Rick Hudson, Bath Spa University, UK
10. Becoming Brad Bob Batchelor, Thiel College, USA
11. A Star is Born Andy Horton, University of Oklahoma, USA
12. Brad Pitt for Mayor Thomas Bayer, Tulane University, USA
13. Gay for Brad Edmond Y. Chang, Drew University, USA
CODA: FAILURE Brian A. Sullivan, Loyola University New Orleans, USA
POSTSCRIPT? MADNESS Robert Bennett, Montana State University-Bozeman, USA
INDEX Susan Clements, USA
ARTWORK Nancy Bernardo, Rochester Institute of Technology, USA