The answers to these questions lie within Momentum, a fresh, zestful way of thinking about and organizing social change work. Today's digital tools—including but not limited to e-mail, the Web, cell phones, personal digital assistants (PDAs), even iPods—promote interactivity and connectedness. But as Momentum shows, these new social media tools are important not for their wizardry but because they connect us to one another in inexpensive, accessible, and massively scalable ways.
Related collections and offers
|Product dimensions:||6.45(w) x 9.30(h) x 0.91(d)|
About the Author
Table of ContentsForeword (Joan Blades).
Preface: The Promise of Connected Activism.
Part I: Connectedness in Action.
1. Celebrating Self-Determination: Developing a Mind-Set of Powerfulness.
2. Becoming a Connected Activist: Enhancing the Effectiveness of Social Media.
3. Beyond Bowling Alone: Leveraging Social Networks for Social Change.
4. All Aboard! Embracing the Leveling Effect of Social Media.
5. Embracing Authentic Conversations: Overcoming the Listening Deficit.
6. Powering the Edges: Shifting Power from the Inside Out.
7. Encouraging Individual Activism: Working Together to Optimize Your Efforts.
Part II: The Future of Social Change.
8. Peeking into the Digital Future: Balancing the Opportunities Ahead.
9. My Diet Starts Next Tuesday: Embracing a Recipe for Success Now.
10. Are We There Yet? Measuring Progress in New Ways.
11. The Future of Funding: Rethinking Philanthropy and Fundraising Using Social Media.
Conclusion: Moving Forward as a Connected Activist.
Resource A: Free Schuylkill River Uses CitizenSpeak to Expand Its Coalition (Jo Lee).
Resource B: The Cluetrain Manifesto (Christopher Locke, Doc Searls, David Weinberger, Rick Levine).
What People are Saying About This
"Momentum is a bold, engaging volume with Fine's unique and insightful approach to using 21st-century tools to organize and connect people. This easy-to-read guide offers fresh faces, new voices and cool tools for building strong, effective, and enduring social change networks." —Diana Aviv, president and CEO, Independent Sector
"Momentum is a clear, timely roadmap for activists and funders. Never has the need to change how we think about our work been greater. Momentum is a must-read for doers and funders serious about social change work." —Pablo Eisenberg, senior fellow, Public Policy Institute, Georgetown University
"Those of us engaged in social change work know that change is coming fast, but changing how we work is happening slowly. We need to work differently and better, and Fine shows us how in fun and inspiring ways. If you are an activist, a funder, a volunteer, or a board member, or just plain care about your community and democracy, Momentum is the book for you!" —Paul Shoemaker, director, Social Venture Partners, Seattle
"Momentum provides donors with a clear understanding of how to succeed in the new Connected Age. What felt like a blur of digital tools to me before now makes good sense, thanks to Fine's lively lexicon and funny stories. I've been waiting for a book like this, and here it is at last!" —Michael Hirschhorn, president, Jacob and Hilda Blaustein Foundation