Unlock essential guitar theory to boost your ability and confidence as a guitarist with this first book in the Music Theory for Guitarists series.
Easy language. Music reading not required! (includes downloadable audio).
Inside the 12 chapters of this guitar theory book you'll learn about intervals, triads, major and minor keys, chord sequences - and understand how to apply them to your playing, improvising and songwriting. I'll use diagrams and simple, non-intimidating language to teach you in minutes, things which confuse some guitarists for years.
This guitar music theory book is for you if:
- You want to boost your music theory knowledge so you can become the guitar player you really want to be
- You're a singer songwriter who needs to learn about chords, keys and chord progressions in order to write great songs (like you hear on recordings!)
- You want to learn music theory but are unsure where to start
- You're a student who needs a crash course in music theory essentials to prepare for college auditions, entrance exams etc
- You're a beginner who wants to easily learn how music works as you take your first steps in learning to play guitar so you can avoid confusion, improve faster and learn more easily
- You feel confused and intimidated by the 'jargon' you hear other musicians or YouTube teachers use
- You 'kind of' understand theory… but you're not really sure how well!
What will this book teach you about?
In the 12 lessons you'll find super clear explanations, practical examples and quiz questions on:
- The Musical Alphabet (the only 12 notes used in all music!)
- Tones and Semitones
- The Major Scale (learn what it actually is…)
- Major and Minor Triads (as used in most pop, country, rock and folk music)
- Major Scale Intervals (major 3rds, perfect 4ths...what are they?)
- Chromatic Intervals (discover what weird names like diminished and augmented really mean)
- Major Keys (Parts 1 & 2)
- Chord Progressions (start writing pro sounding chord sequences and songs of your own)
- Pentatonic Scales (the most common guitar scales ever…)
- The Natural Minor Scale (essential for minor key soloing in rock, pop and other styles)
- Minor Key Basics (learn the secrets of awesome minor key songs and chord sequences)
How will you learn and remember all this? Easy!
Each chapter introduces a new element of guitar theory. You get a clear but detailed explanation of the concept and multiple examples/practical exercises, FAQs and more to drive your understanding home. Test yourself using the quiz questions at the end of each chapter.
Plus, every chapter is also available to you as an audio file so you can immerse yourself in guitar theory whilst at the gym or walking the dog! You'll find details for these in the book. I've taught the material in this book to thousands of musicians around the world both in person and via my website, and I can tell you this: Learning about music theory doesn't need to be scary, confusing, difficult or something that you avoid doing because you don't know where to start.
You Can Do This … and without all the bull! It's time to become the guitar player you know you could be.
Related collections and offers
About the Author
James Shipway, born in Australia and raised in the UK is a professional guitarist and guitar teacher with over 25,000 hours of experience helping students of all ages and abilities reach their guitar-playing goals.
He's shared his knowledge with millions of guitarists worldwide via his YouTube channel and his online guitar academy, Total Guitar Lab as well as in his acclaimed 'No Bull' series of guitar books.
James first began playing guitar at 16. Self taught and with no prior musical education or experience, he still remembers very well how confusing guitar playing could be for a newbie. He brings this personal experience of struggling with adversity and confusion on guitar to everything he does, and his practical, , easy-to-use, 'BS free' approach to learning, playing and practicing guitar has gained him a legion of followers around the globe.
His recent book releases include:
- Music Theory for Guitarists, Volumes 1 & 2 (Volume 3 coming soon!)
- Barre Chords for Guitar
- Blues Soloing for Guitar, Volumes 1 & 2
- The CAGED System for Guitar
- Circle of Fifths for Guitar
These books aim to boost a guitar players ability and confidence by breaking down and simplifying seemingly complex theory, techniques and styles.