Written in straightforward, nontechnical language, Outsmart Your Genes enables everyone, even those without any background in genetics or medicine, to understand the benefits of predictive medicine. Separating myth from fact and answering all the tough questions, Outsmart Your Genes clearly explains:
- How the revolutionary new medical specialty called predictive medicine analyzes your genes and provides you with clear solutions to protect your health and wellbeing.
- What the process will entail and how simple it is. For example, the process doesn’t even require blood or use needles – instead, all that’s needed in order to run the analysis is a small amount of your saliva.
- What your genes can reveal about your overall health and how we can use that information to provide you with a genetically tailored plan for preventing cancer, Alzheimer's, heart disease, obesity, and many other conditions. As opposed to just generalities, specific examples are given so that you’ll know exactly how medicine will improve your life.
- The many ways in-which learning about your genes can help you formulate a genetically tailored nutrition and athletic plan that may help you shed those extra pounds and stay trim and fit.
- How predictive medicine can help both prospective and current parents protect their children against SIDS and also help minimize the impact of and most effectively treat many other childhood diseases such as autism, asthma, dyslexia, obesity, and diabetes.
- Why analyzing your children’s genes may provide the best chance they have to fight against diseases that may not affect them until later in life, including Alzheimer’s, many forms of cancer (such as breast cancer and skin cancer), multiple sclerosis, and even hearing loss.
- How groundbreaking advancements in the fields of genetic analysis, including predictive medicine panels and disease matrix technology, allow you and your physician to avoid information overload and focus only on the information most relevant to you.
- The important concepts you need to understand before speaking with a doctor.
- The top five questions you need to ask in order to assess:
- The credibility of the laboratory doing the testing.
- The types of diseases included in the test.
- How thoroughly the test actually evaluates your risk for each of the diseases.
- Whether the information is provided in a way that makes it actionable.
- Whether the results will be delivered in a format that is straightforward and easy to understand.
|Publisher:||Penguin Publishing Group|
|Sold by:||Penguin Group|
|File size:||2 MB|
|Age Range:||18 Years|
About the Author
Dr. Colby practices predictive medicine in Los Angeles, California. For more information visit his website.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
This is possibly the most important medical book I have ever read or will ever read.To put that statement in context, while I am not a medical professional, I am a highly informed lay(wo)man and can hold my own in conversations with most doctors depending on their specialty. Unfortunately the fount from which this knowledge springs is driven by the fact that my extended family has expressed every major disease in some form and I have made it my responsibility to be as informed as possible to be a good partner in treatment. I have seen first hand the spiraling costs, the frustration over ineffective treatment and the shock of serious chronic illnesses coming from out of the blue. This book addresses all these issues and more. It is a treasure trove of information and possibilities. Rather than seeing genes as destiny (or worse, a death sentence) this book explains that forewarned is forearmed. With knowledge of an individual's genetic blueprint, treatment can be tailored to the individual, increasing effectiveness and decreasing cost. And in the very best of all scenarios, disease can be avoided entirely and wellness becomes the norm rather than the exception. Genetic testing is the key.The author, Dr. Colby, writes and explains in a factual yet entertaining style - from the background of genetic research, to the who and how of testing best practices, to explanations of individual disease/gene expression. The information is presented in such a way that anyone can understand it yet it is complex enough to satisfy someone with a more complete background in genetics. Liberal use of tables and summaries also make this book extremely user friendly as a reference. The information contained in this book, along with the work of Dr. Colby and others in this field, will revolutionize healthcare. If you have any interest in medicine or health, you owe it to yourself to read this book. Great job, Dr. Colby.
This was a fantastic primer to me on how genes work, how they can be used to predict the kind of health you will have, and what kinds of things you can do now, that will prevent problems for you in the future. The science the author describes is very cutting edge, but he explains it in such a way that I was able to easily understand it, and could talk about things with my doctor in an intelligent way. I suspect gene therapy will be on all of our minds in the next few years, this is a great book to get you started.
"Outsmart Your Genes", is an amazing book and is a book longtime in coming. The writing is flowing and easy to understand especially for a layman as I am. As Doctor Colby stated, The new field of predictive medicine arms each of us with a remarkable amount of personalized medical information-which can help us better protect ourselves and our families against disease. "Outsmart Your Genes". is filled with startling facts but presented in a readable & sometimes amusing fashion. Students, professionals & all people who are interested in this new kind of medicine called "Predictive Medicine" should buy or borrow a copy, for this might give them, as it did me, answers that I've been looking for.