MOST OF US HAVE LIMITED SPIRITUAL VISION - and don’t even know it!
• With two trillion galaxies in an expanding universe, how could it be that only the Christians are “saved?”
• Traditional religious symbols are losing power in a changing world (Most people don’t even know they are supposed to be symbols)
• Our rational minds keep wanting to question but conventional religious leaders tell us to just “trust” them (or trust scripture, or tradition)
• Despite declining church attendance, interest in the spiritual search is at an all-time high. New ways of making meaning are arising.
• A study of all religions reveals a common core – a longing shared by all humans. Could this be the basis of the spiritual search?
• In the 21st century we need a BIGGER STORY of what religion and spirituality are all about.
Our traditional scriptures were written in a time when people had no idea of the vastness of the universe. The spiritual messages they were able to receive suffered from lack of awareness about science and about wisdom from other cultures: their worldview was insular.
Today educated people have little excuse for maintaining this kind of insularity. Advances in science and global communications call us to develop a more comprehensive (less myopic) perspective about the UNIVERSAL human search for meaning and connection that formed the basis for ALL our religions. In Overcoming Spiritual Myopia, practicing optometrist and award-winning author, Margaret Placentra Johnston* challenges you on a journey toward a BIGGER STORY about religion and spirituality.
Related collections and offers
|Publisher:||Margaret Placentra Johnston|
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||2 MB|
About the Author
Table of Contents
List of Illustrations xiii
1. The Basics: Defining Myopia 13
2. Looking Back through Time: Perspective 25
3. Spiritual Development Theory: A Key Element in Spiritual Vision Correction 45
4. Signs and Symptoms of Spiritual Myopia: A Disease of Insularity 63
5. New Lenses for Spiritual Clarity: Indulging in a Bird’s-eye View 83
6. The Unitive Level in Spiritual Development: Even Clearer Vision 113
7. Human Cultural Evolution: A Hopeful Outlook 139
8. More Universal Perspectives: Further Vision-Opening Opportunities 159
9. Overcoming Spiritual Myopia: The Prescription 175
10. Prognosis: A Transformed Society 193
Suggested discussion questions 235
Things you can do to help promote (or refute) awareness about Spiritual Myopia 267
About the Author 269