From ground zero of the deadliest wildfire in California history to the cozy living room of super-spokesmodel Brooke Burke; from the recording studio with gangsta-rap pioneer Ice Cube to the tour bus with the Satanic metal band Slayer; this tough but lyrical collection of seventeen stories, by award-winning Esquire and Rolling Stone writer Mike Sager, brings into sharp focus the rich but confusing state of modern American life– its values, virtues, obsessions, and hypocrisies. A second edition of the author's bestselling collection, with updated material and new author's note.
Domestic Goddess Roseanne Barr battles Multiple Personality Disorder… Swingers attend a “fantasy weekend” in Pensacola… Twelve-year-olds joyride in stolen cars through the ruins of the Newark ghetto… Desmond the butler services the hoi polloi on Park Avenue… Football Hall-of-Famer Mike Ditka enjoys his summer vacation of golf, cigars, and private jets… Newly minted dot.com billionaire Mark Cuban buys himself an NBA basketball team…
Deeply focused long-form narrative journalism from the writer who has been called “the Beat poet of American journalism– that rare reporter who can make literature out of shabby reality.”
Related collections and offers
|Publisher:||The Sager Group LLC|
|Edition description:||2nd ed.|
|Product dimensions:||6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.80(d)|
About the Author
Table of Contents
Author's Note for Second Edition
Foreward by Walt Harrington
3. The Multitudes of Roseanne Barr. She’s TV’s loudmouth Domestic Goddess, desecrater of our national anthem and most of our notions of good taste. And she has a secret. An adventure in Multiple Personality Disorder.
21. Is Something Burning? Irene Hurst woke herself coughing at 3:00 a.m. The air was gritty and hot. “Is something burning?” Inside the largest and deadliest wildfire in California History.
41. The Secret Life of a Beautiful Woman.She’s cute as a button, pretty as a picture, eminently do-able, totally unavailable. The Prime of Ms. Brooke Burke.
59.The Man of Tomorrow Goes to the Prom. Not long ago, he was playing with Hot Wheels on the carpet. Now he’s a high school junior.
77. “Yeaahhh Baaaaby! The Mark Cuban Story. Mark Cuban is the controversial owner of the Dallas Mavericks, Landmark Theatres and HD Net. Ride along as he makes his first impulse purchases with his newly-minted $2.5 billion fortune: A 24,000 square foot mansion; a Gulfstream V jet; and the Mavs basketball team.
97. Revenge of the Donut Boys. America’s third-oldest major city has the highest rate of car theft in the nation, sixty-five percent of which are perpetrated by teens and pre-teens. Sometimes it takes two to drive–one works the pedals, the other the wheel.
107. Fact: Five out of Five Kids Who Kill Love Slayer Kids who listen to Slayer are “violent and heavy drug users,” says one expert. All of which has had a predictable effect on the band’s popularity. Perception meets reality.
125. Almost Famous. Meet Lynn Clark and Steve Bean, struggling actors. Welcome to the San Fernando Valley, just over the mountain from Hollywood, where hope springs eternal.
143.The Marine.Three months after 9/11, Lt. Colonel Bob Sinclair and his marine batallion are headed to Afghanistan. “You realize that your country has been attacked,” he says. “That’s a deep wound. A slap to the face. You wanna strike back.”
165. The World According to Amerikkka’s Most-Wanted Rapper. O’Shea “Ice Cube” Jackson is tha Nigga Ya Love to Hate. At home and on the road with author of the landmark song “Fuck Tha Police.”
197. My Man Desmond. One of the last living descendants of a distinguished Anglo-Irish family, which traces its history back eleven centuries, Desmond Patrick Hamilton Gorges has come to America to seek his fortune–as a butler.
209. Fifty Grand in San Diego. Shun Ducksworth lives with his wife and two kids in a duplex condo close to the beach. And not far from the edge.
233. Volleyball Gods. Hov, Dodd, Karch, and Sinjin are the founding studs of two-man, pro beach volleyball, all of them making six figures a year to play a game on the sand. There is only one little problem: They’ve voted to go out on strike.
255. Deviates in Love. Swingers like to say that when you enter the door of the orgy room, you leave your clothes and your labels behind you. Welcome to the Elite International Couples’ Fantasy weekend in Pensacola, Florida, where anyone can be a swan
277. Is Ditka Nuts. Iron Mike Ditka, a football man on his annual summer vacation. “A lot of people say I’m nuts,” he says.
289. Old. Glenn Sanberg is 92 and lives in Sun City, Arizona. All of his friends are dead, people talk to him like he’s four years old, he sometimes wets his pants, his girlfriend has Alzheimer’s. But it sure beats the alternative.
307. Mike Sager by Mike Sager. Ever met a stranger who shares your name? How about 39 of them?