"We are all connected on a neurobiological level far more than we have previously realized. Consciously or not, we are in constant, natural resonance with one another’s feelings. When we are engaged in shared mind awareness, the possibilities for mutual aid and collaborative problem solving abound."
Helen Riess, MD
A Revolutionary Guide for Understanding and Changing the Way We Connect
Empathy is undergoing a new evolution. In a global and interconnected culture, we can no longer afford to identify only with people who seem to be a part of our "tribe." As Dr. Helen Riess has learned, our capacity for empathy is not just an innate traitit is also a skill that we can learn and expand. With The Empathy Effect, Dr. Riess presents a definitive resource on empathy: the science behind how it works, new research on how empathy develops from birth to adulthood, and tools for building your capacity to create authentic emotional connection with others in any situation.
Dr. Riess emerged as leading researcher on empathy by creating a breakthrough training curriculum now used internationally in health care, business, and education. Drawing from this successful program and the latest science, she presents:
• The E.M.P.A.T.H.Y.® methoda powerful seven-step system for understanding and increasing empathy, starting with Eye Contact and ending with Your Response
• How empathy worksa comprehensive synthesis emerging from neuroscience, sociology, developmental psychology, and evolutionary theory
• Tools for recognizing and promoting empathic behavior in yourself and others
• Parenting and teaching empathy in kidsguidance for every stage of development
• Texts, emojis, and digital empathythe modern challenge of authentic connection in the information age
• Empathy through art and literatureexploring the power of creative expression to expand our emotional experience
• Leading with empathyhow political and business leaders can combine compassion with efficiency through group empathy skills and shared mind intelligence
• Digging deep for empathyhow to reverse scapegoating and recognize shared humanity with those we normally keep at a distance
• Self-compassionwhy your ability to express love toward yourself affects every other relationship in your life
"Nourishing empathy lets us help not just ourselves," says Dr. Riess, "but also everyone we interact with, whether for a moment or a lifetime." The Empathy Effect is a life-changing book that will revolutionize the way you understand yourself, relate to your loved ones, and connect to every person in your life.
Related collections and offers
|Publisher:||Sounds True, Incorporated|
|Product dimensions:||6.20(w) x 9.10(h) x 0.90(d)|
About the Author
HELEN RIESS, MD, is associate clinical professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School. Her work has been featured in the New York Times, HuffPost, JAMA, and more. She lives in Boston, Massachusetts. For more, visit empathetics.com.
LIZ NEPORENT is an award-winning health and medical journalist, and is currently a managing editor at Medscape/WebMD. She lives in New York City and upstate New York. For more, visit liznep.com.
Table of Contents
Foreword Alan Alda ix
Chapter 1 Shared Mind Intelligence 9
Chapter 2 How Empathy Works 17
Chapter 3 The Empathy Spectrum 27
Chapter 4 The Seven Keys of E.M.P.A.T.H.Y.® 43
Chapter 5 Who's In, Who's Out… 61
Chapter 6 Growing Up with Empathy 75
Chapter 7 The ABCs of Empathy in Education 95
Chapter 8 Texts, Screens, and Digital Empathy 113
Chapter 9 Empathy, Art, and Literature 125
Chapter 10 Leadership and the Politics of Empathy 147
Chapter 11 Digging Deep for Empathy 167
Chapter 12 Self-Empathy 187
About the Author 225