This title is a greatly expanded volume of the original Art and Science of Teaching, offering a competency-based education framework for substantive change based on Dr. Robert Marzano's 50 years of education research. While the previous model focused on teacher outcomes, the new version places focus on student learning outcomes, with research-based instructional strategies teachers can use to help students grasp the information and skills transferred through their instruction. Throughout the book, Marzano details the elements of three overarching categories of teaching, which define what must happen to optimize student learning: students must receive feedback, get meaningful content instruction, and have their basic psychological needs met.
Gain research-based instructional strategies and teaching methods that drive student success:
- Explore instructional strategies that correspond to each of the 43 elements of The New Art and Science of Teaching, which have been carefully designed to maximize student engagement and achievement.
- Use ten design questions and a general framework to help determine which classroom strategies you should use to foster student learning.
- Analyze the behavioral evidence that proves the strategies of an element are helping learners reach their peak academic success.
- Study the state of the modern standards movement and what changes must be made in K-12 education to ensure high levels of learning for all.
- Download free reproducible scales specific to the elements in The New Art and Science of Teaching.
Chapter 1: Providing and Communicating Clear Learning Goals
Chapter 2: Conducting Assessment
Chapter 3: Conducting Direct Instruction Lessons
Chapter 4: Practicing and Deepening Lessons
Chapter 5: Implementing Knowledge Application Lessons
Chapter 6: Using Strategies That Appear in All Types of Lessons
Chapter 7: Using Engagement Strategies
Chapter 8: Implementing Rules and Procedures
Chapter 9: Building Relationships
Chapter 10: Communicating High Expectations
Chapter 11: Making System Changes
|Publisher:||Solution Tree Press|
|Product dimensions:||8.30(w) x 10.40(h) x 0.40(d)|
What People are Saying About This
"As a longtime Marzano devotee, I was pleasantly surprised that the book retained the magic of the original while also approaching learning from a new perspective. The three overarching categories in The New Art and Science of Teaching are a shift from the first edition, in that the original was what the teacher must do, while this new edition draws from what must happen in students' minds in order to be successful learners. This shift reflects the changing attitudes in education and the influence of growth mindset."
Amber Chandler, middle school teacher, Frontier Middle School, New York
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
This is a much-anticipated new edition of a classic first published in 2009! It's updated to reflect today's classroom issues and challenges. While the previous edition focused on teacher outcome, this new version places the focus on students and helps teachers implement effective strategies. Great book!