Bitcoin is one of the most transformative technologies in history, but at the same time it's dismissed as useless or only seen as a speculative vehicle. Why Cryptocurrencies? will dispel that myth by exploring real use-cases and show how cryptocurrencies are uniquely positioned to revolutionize the way we use money today.
Can you afford to miss out?
What makes this book special?
- Gives you the important conceptual ideas. It's all too easy to get bogged down with technical details; the high-level concepts are what's truly important.
- Easy to read. The book is beginner-friendly and doesn't require any prior knowledge.
- Focused on utility. The focus is on concrete use-cases, instead of the more seductive speculative approach.
- It's bigger than Bitcoin. There are many more cryptocurrencies other than Bitcoin. The focus is on the general cryptocurrency concept and it's potential, instead of on a single implementation.
- Visits a wide variety of topics. This isn't only about cryptocurrencies. It's also about money, censorship, our financial system, and the dark secrets that Chelsea Manning and Edward Snowden revealed.
- The order doesn't matter. Chapters are self-contained, so you can jump around and read the sections you're interested in.
|Product dimensions:||7.50(w) x 9.25(h) x 0.77(d)|
Table of Contents
About the book
I. Why cryptocurrencies in five minutes
II. What is a cryptocurrency?
1. Properties of a cryptocurrency
2. How do cryptocurrencies work?
3. Look out for snake oil
4. What is money?
5. Are cryptocurrencies money?
III. Better digital payments
6. Cheaper & faster
7. "Undesirable" businesses
8. Freezing of merchant accounts
9. Uncensorable donations
10. For the unbanked
IV. A better currency
11. The financial crisis, bad loans and bailouts
12. The blind leading the blind
13. A defective system
14. Private money
15. A global currency
V. Brave new world
16. Darknet markets
17. A Swiss bank account in your pocket
18. The cashless dystopia
19. Protection against government confiscation
20. Separation of money and state
21. Timestamping service
22. Uncensorable Twitter
23. Provably fair gambling
25. Improved voting
26. The Bitcoin white paper
27. Challenges for cryptocurrencies
28. A hitchhiker's guide to cryptography
29. Cryptocurrencies are antifragile
About me, the author