The 150 Best Slow Cooker Recipesby Judith Finlayson
Slow Cookers are the ideal appliance for today's lifestyle because they make meal preparation so manageable. An indispensable assistant, a slow cooker will help you prepare delicious food that requires a minimum of attention, while ensuring a maximum of success. But the recipes are key. In The 150 Best Slow Cooker Recipes, you'll find superb recipes that will exceed your expectations for not only preparing everyday meals, but also for entertaining from casual Friday nights to even the most challenging special occasions,
Everyone wants food that is easy and flavorful, whether it's an old favorite that evokes fond memories such as Classic Boeuf Bourguignon, Shepherd's Pie with Creamy Corn Filling or Pineapple Upside-Down Spice Cake. New taste sensations that reflect today's globalized world can be found in Pumpkin Soup with Shrimp and Lime, Stuffed Pot Roast in Cumin-Flavored Gravy or Thai-Style Coconut Flan. Old standards or new classics, The 150 Best Slow Cooker Recipes has an abundance of appetizing and dependable recipes.
150 Recipes 50+ Color Photographs
Dependable Tips and Techniques
Appetizers to Desserts
Make Ahead Ideas
Author Biography: Judith Finlayson is a journalist, speechwriter, and author on the subject of women with a life-long love of cooking. Twenty-five years ago, she began her career writing feature food articles, reviewing restaurants and developing recipes for magazines. Now she has integrated a wide range of cooking influences into an eclectic collection of mouth-watering recipes for the slow cooker.
- Rose, Robert Incorporated
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Second Edition, Revised and Expanded
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.70(w) x 10.40(h) x 0.80(d)
Read an Excerpt
Easy Chicken Paprikash
This simple dish reminds me of my student days when, feeling very sophisticated, we often dined out at an inexpensive Hungarian restaurant, close to the campus. Chicken Paprikash with dumplings was the house specialty and it has remained a sentimental favorite ever since. For convenience, I've simplified the sauce and dispensed with the dumplings. I like to serve this with hot buffered noodles and a salad, instead. SERVES 6
This dish can be partially prepared the night before it is cooked. Complete Step 2, heating 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil in pan before softening onions. Cover and refrigerate overnight. The next morning, brown chicken (Step 1), or if you're pressed for time, omit this step and place chicken directly in stoneware. Continue cooking as directed in Step 3.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 3 lbs
(1.5 kg) chicken pieces, skin on breasts, removed from legs and thighs
- 2 medium onions, finel chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cracked black peppercorns
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) condensed chicken broth (undiluted)
- 1 can (1 0 oz/284 mL) condensed tomato soup
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) finely chopped dill
- Hot buttered noodles
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, in batches, and brown on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onions and cook until soft. Add garlic, paprika, salt, pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Sprinkle flour over mixture, stir well and cook for 1
minute. Add chicken broth and cook for 1 minute, until almost all evaporates. Remove pan from heat, stir soup into mixture.
- Pour mixture over chicken. Cover and cook on Low for 6 hours or on High for 3 hours, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a fork.
- In a bowl, mix together sour cream and cream. Add to chicken along with dill. Stir well and serve over hot buttered noodles.
Meet the Author
Judith Finlayson is a journalist, speechwriter, and author on the subject of women with a life-long love of cooking. Twenty-five years ago, she began her career writing feature food articles, reviewing restaurants and developing recipes for magazines. Now she has integrated a wide range of cooking influences into an eclectic collection of mouth-watering recipes for the slow cooker.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
Very yummy recipes so far. More prep work than your average slow-cooker book, but worth it.