Beginning SQL Server 2008 Express for Developers: From Novice to Professional / Edition 1by Robin Dewson
Beginning SQL Server 2008 Express for Developers: From Novice to Professional takes a developer, and even a database administrator, from knowing nothing about SQL Server 2008 Express Edition to being ready to design and build a fully functioning system that is secure, reliable, maintainable, and robust. The Express Edition of SQL Server is a free/em>… See more details below
Beginning SQL Server 2008 Express for Developers: From Novice to Professional takes a developer, and even a database administrator, from knowing nothing about SQL Server 2008 Express Edition to being ready to design and build a fully functioning system that is secure, reliable, maintainable, and robust. The Express Edition of SQL Server is a free resource commonly used by students, developers of small systems, and those transferring skills from other databases. This book focuses on the features within the Express Edition and therefore will not confuse readers with coverage of features found only in the Development Edition. By the end of the book, readers will be ready to move on to Accelerated SQL Server 2008 as well as other books within the Apress SQL Server lineup such as Pro SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services.
- Covers using the free Express Edition of SQL Server
- Describes creating a database from scratch and builds on this
- Provides an understanding of SQL Server Express 2008, allowing you to build future solutions for you and your business
What you’ll learn
- Learn what features exist within SQL Server 2008 Express Edition and how to install and upgrade the product and set up security.
- Design and create a database.
- Build database objects, such as tables and stored procedures, graphically as well as programmatically.
- Work with datainserting, updating, deleting, and retrievingusing simple and complex queries, programs, and data views.
- Generate reports from data.
- Implement a solid database maintenance strategy that includes backing up and restoring your data when necessary.
- Take advantage of advanced TransactSQL techniques to get the most out of your data.
- Ensure good performance by building the right indexes, defining the right relationships between tables, and joining tables in the most optimal manner.
Who this book is for
Anyone interested in working with SQL Server as a database, and particularly those who wish for a nocost database platform that plays well in the .NET environment. Ideal for those starting out in IT or who have to prior database experience.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 6.90(w) x 9.10(h) x 1.30(d)
Table of Contents
Ch. 1 SQL Server 2008 Express Overview and Installation 1 Ch. 2 SQL Server Management Studio Express 23 Ch. 3 Database Design and Creation 53 Ch. 4 Security and Compliance 99 Ch. 5 Defining Tables 131 Ch. 6 Creating Indexes and Database Diagramming 167 Ch. 7 Database Backup and Recovery 201 Ch. 8 Inserting Data and Transactions 249 Ch. 9 Selecting, Updating, and Deleting Data 277 Ch. 10 Building a View 321 Ch. 11 Stored Procedures and Functions 349 Ch. 12 T-Sql 423 Ch. 13 Advanced T-SQL 423 Ch. 14 Triggers 453 Ch. 15 SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services 479 Index 499
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >