The iPhone is cool, and the iPhone is fun, but the iPhone also means serious business. For those of you who bought your iPhones to help get your lives organized and free yourselves from the ball and chain of desktop computing, iPhone at Work: Productivity for Professionals is the book to show you how.
There are plenty of general-purpose iPhone guides, but iPhone at Work: Productivity for Professionals shows you how to complete all the traditional smartphone tasks, like to-do lists, calendars, and e-mail, and become much more efficient and productive at work. You'll learn mechanisms for developing effective workflows specific to the features of the iPhone and also efficient strategies for dealing with the specialized aspects of business and professional lifestyles.
From the introduction and throughout the book, author Ryan Faas targets professional users of the iPhone. You'll tour the built-in applications and configuration options, always with work and productivity in mind, and discover all of the enterprise features of the iPhone, learning how to configure and use each one.
Then discover the App Store: source of all third-party software. There's something a bit daunting about the dominance of games and frivolous apps on the best-seller lists, but there are serious business and vertical applications also available, and you'll learn about some of the best and how to take advantage of this wealth of add-on and very professional functionality.
And for those administrators with the special job of deploying lots of new iPhones across the enterprise, this book concludes with two appendixes that provide information and resources for companies. The first is intended for organizations looking to perform larger-scale iPhone or iPod touch deployments complete with device management. The second is geared for those companies that wish to develop an iPhone platformoriented infrastructure through the use of customized in-house applications and iPhone/iPod touchspecific web services.
What youll learn
- Purchase and configure an iPhone specifically for business
- Integrate built-in iPhone platform features into an everyday professional workflow
- Access enterprise-wide data and computing features
- Pick up specific tips for different professions
- Deploy the iPhone platform across groups both large and small
- Discover the secrets of iPhone platform customization and personalization
Who this book is for
You already have or are considering the purchase of an iPhone. You know it's the coolest smartphone around, but you actually want to use it to make your professional life more efficient, more productive, and more fun! Clearly, the iPhone has inherent uses for a broad range of professions including management, sales, medical/dental, legal, real estate, training and education, human resources, and information technology, so there are many of you. Some of you are novice mobile device users, others are highly experienced mobile pros. No matter, because every professional iPhone user across this continuum of experience wants to learn to work smarter, better, and more efficiently. This book shows you how to use your iPhone to do this.
Table of Contents
- Buying and Activating Your iPhone
- Using Your iPhone for the First Time
- Getting Online
- Phone Home (Or Work, Clients, or Anyone Else)
- Texting and Media Messaging for a Living
- Microsoft Exchange and ActiveSync
- Photos and Video
- Web Browsing with Mobile Safari
- Getting Around Using Maps
- iPod and iTunes
- The Remaining Built-In Apps
- Understanding iPhone Applications and the App Store
- General Business Applications
- Apps for Specific Professions