The Well-Grounded Java Developer offers a fresh and practical look at new Java 7 features, new JVM languages, and the array of supporting technologies you need for the next generation of Java-based software.
About the Book
The Well-Grounded Java Developer starts with thorough coverage of Java 7 features like try-with-resources and NIO.2. You'll then explore a cross-section of emerging JVM-based languages, including Groovy, Scala, and Clojure. You will find clear examples that are practical and that help you dig into dozens of valuable development techniques showcasing modern approaches to the dev process, concurrency, performance, and much more.
Written for readers familiar with Java. No experience with Java 7 or new JVM languages required.
Purchase of the print book comes with an offer of a free PDF, ePub, and Kindle eBook from Manning. Also available is all code from the book.
Table of Contents
- New Java 7 features
- Tutorials on Groovy, Scala, and Clojure
- Discovering multicore processing and concurrency
- Functional programming with new JVM languages
- Modern approaches to testing, build, and CI
PART 1 DEVELOPING WITH JAVA 7
- Introducing Java 7
- New I/O
PART 2 VITAL TECHNIQUES
- Dependency Injection
- Modern concurrency
- Class files and bytecode
- Understanding performance tuning
PART 3 POLYGLOT PROGRAMMING ON THE JVM
- Alternative JVM languages
- Groovy: Java's dynamic friend
- Scala: powerful and concise
- Clojure: safer programming
PART 4 CRAFTING THE POLYGLOT PROJECT
- Test-driven development
- Build and continuous integration
- Rapid web development
- Staying well-grounded