The Must-Have Guide to Humor Writing Bring on the funny! With Comedy Writing Secrets 3rd Edition , you can discover the secrets of humor writing that will keep your readers rolling in their seats. Learn the basics of joke construction, as well as in-depth comedy-writing techniques that you can apply to a variety of print and online markets. If your aim is to make 'em laughand make a career in comedy writingthen look no further. In this completely revised and refreshed edition, you'll discover:
- Hundreds of updated one-liners, anecdotes, and bits from top comedians like Louis C.K., Conan O’Brien, Tina Fey, Amy Schumer, Rodney Dangerfield, Jon Stewart, Steve Martin, Ellen DeGeneres, Jimmy Fallon, George Carlin, Zach Galifianakis, Stephen Colbert, Erma Bombeck, and more.
- Exclusive tips for injecting humor into articles, speeches, advertisements, greeting cards, and more.
- New instruction on writing for online markets and social media.
- Advice on brainstorming and editing to beat writer's block and generate new material.
- Exercises and expanded instructions for exaggeration, reverses, word play and more to practice and refine your writing skills.
|Edition description:||Third Edition|
|Product dimensions:||5.40(w) x 8.30(h) x 0.90(d)|
Table of Contents
Part 1 Comedy Writing 101
Chapter 1 Introduction to Humor Writing 7
Chapter 2 Why We Laugh 24
Chapter 3 The Recipe for Humor 40
Part 2 Humor Writing Techniques
Chapter 4 Pow: Play on Words 62
Chapter 5 More Pow: The Simple Truth and the Takeoff 82
Chapter 6 The Next Giant Step: Reverses 99
Chapter 7 Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered: Triples 112
Chapter 8 Realism, Exaggeration, and Shock 125
Chapter 9 Brainstorming and Editing 141
Part 3 Writing Humor for Specific Markets
Chapter 10 Testing, Testing, One, Two, Three: Writing Humor for Speeches 156
Chapter 11 Print Humor: Columns, Articles, Greeting Cards, and Abbreviated Humor 172
Chapter 12 Writing Humor for the Cloud: Social Media, Blogging, and More 190
Chapter 13 Teach, Learn, and Laugh 208
Chapter 14 That's a Wrap 228
Most Helpful Customer Reviews